Can Anyone Comfort Me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
I have just gotten a new A. seemanni. It is just a spiderling,(well about 2 inches now) and I havent had alot of time with spiders that dig, and i am afarid that the soil will fall on my spider(Or T. as ppl call them) and kill it. And i know that it will molt soon so i dont really want it down in it "cave" while it goes through this process. If anyone can give me some advice like not to worry or something:confused:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
anthony2561,
Welcome to the Arachnopet family.
Now take a deep breath and be cool dude. Your T will be fine.
It will web up its burrow as it digs so it won't cave in. Even if it did, it would be able to dig its way out.

See ya,
Ernie

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Dont assume that the animal is stupid enough to seal its fate by natural burrowing instinct ;)

Not a very succesful evolutionary mechanism.

dont worry.

-V

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I do sympathize, as this is one of the hardest things a new tarantula owner has to go through. The desire to dig the spider out and make sure it's all right is very difficult to resist, but you are more likely to hurt it by digging it out than by leaving it alone. Spiders are very delicate pre-molt, and handling or stress of any kind should be avoided. It's natural for them to retreat to their burrows and seal off the entrance when they are molting (and at other times, too), and their desire for privacy should be respected.

The best way to cope with your own stress in this situation is to go out and buy another tarantula ;) Or two!

Joy

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
I do sympathize, as this is one of the hardest things a new tarantula owner has to go through. The desire to dig the spider out and make sure it's all right is very difficult to resist, but you are more likely to hurt it by digging it out than by leaving it alone. Spiders are very delicate pre-molt, and handling or stress of any kind should be avoided. It's natural for them to retreat to their burrows and seal off the entrance when they are molting (and at other times, too), and their desire for privacy should be respected.

The best way to cope with your own stress in this situation is to go out and buy another tarantula ;) Or two!

Joy
That is such an awesome idea Joy! Again, your arachnowisdom shine through!

Bd

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best way to cope with your own stress in this situation is to go out and buy another tarantula Or two!
No...no....NOOOO!! Just more reason to feed the addiction..don't fall for it! IT WON"T STOP AT "Or two!" lol. :D

Don't worry man, my A. seemani is a freakin' bulldozing Houdini. Dude she has an amazing burrow that runs from each side of the enclosure, into a "U" in the back, exiting from a half-cylinder of wood. I was tripping out whenever I first looked in because the topsoil, so to say, is completely FLAT! Like, covered with leaves and such. I don't understand how the freakin' thing could flatten out the top from the inside or whatever, I dunno...like it just dissappered. But lone and behold I see her chillin about 7" under in all. LOL. Craftly little buggers they are.!

But like Vayu said...it's nature man, spiders aren't retarded enough to dig a hole that will end their fate. We'd have a LOT of dead spiders by now, common sense. Don't worry I thought the same thing when I was first in the hobby.:D

Marcus

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check it out...crazy, huh? I still can't find the entrance, even when I moved the leaves around.

Attachments