Can Anybody help out a newbie??

Liam

Arachnopeon
Hey, I just recently acquired my first T about 5 months ago from Tails and Teeth in Lindsay, Ontario. I have 2 questions and i hope someone can help me out here.

My spider has been eating consistantly since i got him, but recently he has stopped eating his food and has been nibbling at his feet(he sits with usually 2 of his legs curled up underneath him while working away at the one with his fangs) he has managed to (chew?) one of his feet right off..I've been told they do this when they are under stress..but i feel bad for the little guy and want to know if there is anything i can do to help him out...other then the fact he is now missing a foot he seems normal, except that he has not eaten in about 2 weeks now.

also

I was under the impression I was buying a Chilean Rose but all my friends that also own CR's claim that he is something other then that based on the fact that he is significantly larger thean their CR's. I took him to D&D Exotics in courtice and the owner told me that he was not a chilean rose but he was in fact Haitian-I was wondering if anyone has any links or further information on this particular spider

Sorry for the essay
Liam

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think alot more informaton is needed to give you a good answer :
How is housed ? kk? Tank ? What size
What kind of substrate ?
any hide ?
what's your humidity ?

Do you have ANY pics ?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Although you can't usually get 100% positive ID from a picture alone, post a picture of your possible G. rosea and we may be able to help you out. :)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah...we definitely need more information.

My thoughts are hide, humidity and substrate.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we will have to know a lot more about your - t - so we can help when we do some one should be able to help you and your pet ===== phil

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey, I just recently acquired my first T about 5 months ago from Tails and Teeth in Lindsay, Ontario. I have 2 questions and i hope someone can help me out here.

My spider has been eating consistantly since i got him, but recently he has stopped eating his food and has been nibbling at his feet(he sits with usually 2 of his legs curled up underneath him while working away at the one with his fangs) he has managed to (chew?) one of his feet right off..I've been told they do this when they are under stress..but i feel bad for the little guy and want to know if there is anything i can do to help him out...other then the fact he is now missing a foot he seems normal, except that he has not eaten in about 2 weeks now.

also

I was under the impression I was buying a Chilean Rose but all my friends that also own CR's claim that he is something other then that based on the fact that he is significantly larger thean their CR's. I took him to D&D Exotics in courtice and the owner told me that he was not a chilean rose but he was in fact Haitian-I was wondering if anyone has any links or further information on this particular spider

Sorry for the essay
Liam
Well for one.. the decrease in food intake could imply an upcoming moult...
However, i have never heard of a T chewing it's own feet off :? When spider clean themselves they curl legs under and work their fangs across their legs.
Does your spider have sufficient space in his enclosure? Does he have a hide? What substrate are you using? Open water bowl?
One cause, i suppose, could be mites? Does he have any small white "tear drop" like things on him anywhere? On his legs? Carapace? Chelicerae? Around his eyes etc?
If he is a "haitian" and not a chile rose...Then the latin name you want is Phormictopus cancerides. But as people have said.. clear pictures would help in I.D :)

Liam

Arachnopeon
I keep him in a 5 gallon terrarium, with a hide and an open water dish, i can't remember the brand name of the substrate but it's the coconut stuff that comes in a brick and you add water to it, i spray it down lighty(not the spider, the substrate) one or two sprays every 2-3 days and keep the temperature around 75-80 degrees

i'm pretty sure he doesn't have mites, he looks completely healthy,except that he is now missing a foot

as soon as i can i'll post a pic of him(i'll have to borrow a digital camera from my gf)

thanks, Liam

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll have to see pictures of the spider, as well as the enclosure.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep him in a 5 gallon terrarium, with a hide and an open water dish, i can't remember the brand name of the substrate but it's the coconut stuff that comes in a brick and you add water to it, i spray it down lighty(not the spider, the substrate) one or two sprays every 2-3 days and keep the temperature around 75-80 degrees

i'm pretty sure he doesn't have mites, he looks completely healthy,except that he is now missing a foot

as soon as i can i'll post a pic of him(i'll have to borrow a digital camera from my gf)

thanks, Liam
That sounds Ok to me. But as Chesire said a pic would be an asset.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The only thing I can think of is the foot got damaged, maybe in a fall, and the T removed it at the joint so the bleeding would stop. (A severed joint will seal up naturally, but injuries elsewhere won't. So they'll cut off a damaged part themselves to make it seal up.)

Liam

Arachnopeon
thank you all for your time and advice...like i said...as soon as i can get ahold of my gf's digital camera i'll take pictures of the spider and enclosure and post them on here asap

cheers

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only thing I can think of is the foot got damaged, maybe in a fall, and the T removed it at the joint so the bleeding would stop. (A severed joint will seal up naturally, but injuries elsewhere won't. So they'll cut off a damaged part themselves to make it seal up.)
Foor could have been damaged, humdidty could be down...a whole lot of things. When we have no clue what we're dealing with, it's hard to say.

Assuming the species ID is correct (which is the Ron Jeremy of IFs at this point), that's the most likely explanation.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Foor could have been damaged, humdidty could be down...a whole lot of things. When we have no clue what we're dealing with, it's hard to say.

Assuming the species ID is correct (which is the Ron Jeremy of IFs at this point), that's the most likely explanation.
rotflol@ron jeremy

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
how big is this spider? i have a g.rosea thats about a 6" ls wich is pretty big for them

Liam

Arachnopeon
his leg span is about 5-1/4"....

(still awaiting that camera)

he's started eating and moving about the tank again...so that's a good thing i assume...still like to know what he is though....just outt've curiousity

Liam

Arachnopeon
i have successfully ID'd this spider as an adult female Phormictopus cancerides (you guys were right without even lookin at her) apparently she'll be fine once she molts

thanks for all your help

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have successfully ID'd this spider as an adult female Phormictopus cancerides (you guys were right without even lookin at her) apparently she'll be fine once she molts

thanks for all your help
Good luck !

Glad we could help

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's good news. it was just a lucky guess, though. P. cancerides resembles a larger G. rosea and comes from Haiti, so i took a shot.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:? and why did it bite its foot off then any reason for it do any one know ? :? :confused: :confused: ^^^^ phil