Can any one identify this?

Fossa

Arachnopeon
I have this growing everywhere in my garden and I rather like the look of it, seems really hardy and sprouts up over everything so I just wondered if any one knew what it was?

WP_20130602_003.jpg

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
morning glory or some sort. possibly 'moon flower' as we used to call them when I was a kid. It is a bindweed, Calystegia sepium. Does it have white flowers? Or are they another color?

Last edited:

Fossa

Arachnopeon
yup that's the stuff...I've noticed all over my garden I'm getting creepers appearing and half tempted to set some up in an empty viv and see how they do.

cheers!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup that's the stuff...I've noticed all over my garden I'm getting creepers appearing and half tempted to set some up in an empty viv and see how they do.

cheers!
I think with proper lighting, it would do really well. It is a hardy plant.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think with any lighting it would do well. It's a darned tenacious nuisance around here. It threads in among the plants you want to keep and in pulling it out you wreck your keepers.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think with any lighting it would do well. It's a darned tenacious nuisance around here. It threads in among the plants you want to keep and in pulling it out you wreck your keepers.
it actually doesn't do well with any lighting. I have tried before with failure. it needs descent light to do well.

The Snark

Old Timer
it actually doesn't do well with any lighting. I have tried before with failure. it needs descent light to do well.
You're right. Checking out those taking over our wall until they break into the sunlight they just extend the vine that is all but leafless. But that darned vine can extend for several meters around here.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're right. Checking out those taking over our wall until they break into the sunlight they just extend the vine that is all but leafless. But that darned vine can extend for several meters around here.
yeah it is a real pest.

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm going to blame the OP for this. The boss suddenly decided our property shall now be rid of that bleeping plant and guess who has to wield the machete? :mad:

Fossa

Arachnopeon
I'm going to blame the OP for this. The boss suddenly decided our property shall now be rid of that bleeping plant and guess who has to wield the machete? :mad:
Sorry about that....im having to do the same....though I personally don't mind it in patches its a pain in the arse to remove off my japanese maples (and everything else in the garden) Really hard to get rid of by all accounts as the roots are so deep that it just springs up everywhere no matter how much you cut it back. I am tempted to build a tarantula out of wire meshing about 3ft high and see if I can get it to grow round it though haha

The Snark

Old Timer
Sorry about that....im having to do the same....though I personally don't mind it in patches its a pain in the arse to remove off my japanese maples (and everything else in the garden) Really hard to get rid of by all accounts as the roots are so deep that it just springs up everywhere no matter how much you cut it back. I am tempted to build a tarantula out of wire meshing about 3ft high and see if I can get it to grow round it though haha
I've got the crap wound up in our bougainvillea. Already accidentally hacked a tree we've been trying to grow. I'm considering trying to isolate the stuff enough to use glyphosate on it. You might be onto something doing topiary with the stuff. Sure wouldn't take long to see the fruits of ones labors.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That plant would wilt fast. With vines like this, I don't do much cutting and pulling, I follow it to the ground, cut it there and dig up the root. Or you can cut it at close to the ground and paint the stump with a thin coat of undiluted plant killer, the safest you can kind(good luck with that but some are safer than others.), or drape black plastic over the area, that should burn anything that comes up later if it's in the sun. When the leaves wilt(should be the next day at least) and dry up, the vine should harden and become brittle, it will prob be much easier to deal with then. I've done this a lot with wisteria anyway, but it is a much more woody vine, I just let it rot and fall off the trees over time.

The Snark

Old Timer
I sense Galapoheros is volunteering to go sit in our yard inundated by several thousand mosquitoes, his head periodically testing the sharpness of those 1 inch bougainvillea thorns, a hundred million ants slithering into his pants while he snips, digs and squirts away at that bleeping vine. Yes? :cool:

Fossa

Arachnopeon
The only problem is the roots go so deep, not to mention its come over from my neighbours garden and there's more chance of me stapling diarreah to a waterfall than them actually cleaning up their garden/house lol.

Rather than start a new thread also as it's another identify this .... am I right in thinking this is some sort of Cryptogramma sp.?
WP_20130609_004.jpg

Fossa

Arachnopeon
yeah it is a fern of sorts no spores under the leaves though as of yet but it is tiny...I presumed it was some sort of 'parsley' fern (though it looks more like corriander lol)

The Snark

Old Timer
I never knew there were so many fern types lol...cheers! (oh BTW you're my new plant expert lol)
Provided you only ask about native Southern California plants, excluding cacti and succulents. :)