Could be an A bicolor and being a buthid, it's best to not get stung

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if it helps to identify is native to the deserts of iraq

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm sure someone with more knowledge about andros will chime in and give a definite ID

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a guess: Androctonus crassicauda

quite dangerous!

edit: the reason i guess this is because its theonly andro species i know of from iraq, its sting is supposedly NOT deadly to healthy adults (ie your buddies stationed there ;) ), but if one of them does happen to get stung he should likely go seek medical attention. With some luck maybe he will miss a few IEDs or firefights.

I've got a lot of friends over there right now and whenever I ask them to describe the local scorpion population to me, they simply say "big and nasty". I guess they arent really paying much attention to the local fauna when bullets are flying!

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with Bayushi...I would love to go to the Middle East to just find scorps. Preferably Israel, for the scorps and to live there..haha

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
funny enough the guy kept it as a pet so was just wondering. it will be funny to tell him that it's quite dangerous considering he was keeping it in the glove box of the land rover and later on fell in the sarg's lap!

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
funny enough the guy kept it as a pet so was just wondering. it will be funny to tell him that it's quite dangerous considering he was keeping it in the glove box of the land rover and later on fell in the sarg's lap!
Thats awesome! I think the scorps should be the least of his concern in Iraq. Thats seriously a good story from Iraq, especially given the fact that all weekend I had to listen to my Army buddy's horror stories from there. Good to know in the middle of all that there's atleast one new scorpion fan :clap:

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would also say A.crassicauda. The chela are bulbous and A.bicolor's chela are thin. Very nice Andro :D

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's best not to get stung :confused: This has to be the understatement of the year :rolleyes:

species from the Androctonus genus are all considered medical important. The scorpion in the pictures resembles A.crassicauda indeed, so I agree with quiz. There have been several sting reports in both Gulf wars, without severe cases or mortality. This is mainly because of the persons that where stung were healthy adults in a good physical shape and good medical care.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At first sight, it looks like an Androctonus Bicolor to me, but they are from Africa if I'm correct?

Upon consultation of a few sources it's more likely to be a Androctonus crassicauda.... native to that region?!?

Christ, all these scientific names still confuse me!

SlovenlyFive

Arachnopeon
I can't be sure because of the quality and angle of the photo but I'm 80% that's an A. crassicauda.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My guess

My guess it Androctonus bicolor but also possibly Androctonus crassicauda or Androctonus mauritanicus. I'd need to see a closer photo showing the coloration of the scorpion. Agreed, it is surely a member of the Buthidae family and unless you have got some Antivenin nearby a sting could likely kill you ;P

You can easily ID it from the pics on this site - http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.php, just scroll down to Buthidae, then click on the Androctonus photos. Here are linked photos of my 3 guesses from Scorpion Files (what a fantastic site :clap:)

A. bicolor (Egypt)

A. crassicauda (Israel)

A. mauritanicus

A. mauritanicus bourdoni

Here is a link to a neat table comparing the lethal dose of the venom (which contains LD50, this is what make Buthidae scorps the worlds deadliest) in lab mice - it still gives you a good idea of which have the most LD50 in their venom hence making them the most lethal.

http://members.tripod.com/~c_kianwee/rpotent.htm

Hope that helps on your ID quest. They are a great species for experienced keepers and when the proper precautions are taken you shouldn't have to worry about getting tagged. When transferring my venomous scorps I use rubber tipped forceps and pick them up by the base of the tail below the caudal segment - I'm sure others may have better methods but this has always worked well for me - zero close calls with scorps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it was found in Iraq, I would say it is most likely A. crassicauda (99% sure), with a very unlikely possibility it could be A. bicolor, but I can find no record of A. bicolor Iraq.

It is not A. mauritanicus, which is native to Northwest Africa, which is nowhere near Iraq.

Now try to get a pic of Sarge's face when he finds out exactly what he had in his lap.

Edit- Tabor beat me while I was checking another reference, so add The Catalog of Scorpions of the World to his references;)

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tats one cool loookin bug...
Wish i could be there...but guess not...:D

Yeah...its a A.crassicauda :) and a nice one too...shud be interesting enough to keep u all occupied...oh yar...try not to let it drink too much...
1 a month is good enough :D