Can a Tarantula raised on mice switch to roaches?

Sir Cheezburger

Arachnopeon
Hello, I recently picked up a 4" Phormictopus cancerides at a local pet store, where they told me they had been feeding it baby mice. Would it still be able to recognize roaches as prey, and how big of roaches should I be feeding it? Thanks.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
It will be fine switching over to roaches! Keep them to a size not much larger than its abdomen and you should be fine.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hello, I recently picked up a 4" Phormictopus cancerides at a local pet store, where they told me they had been feeding it baby mice. Would it still be able to recognize roaches as prey, and how big of roaches should I be feeding it? Thanks.
Tarantulas are ambush predators, meaning they'll eat anything that moves. Sometimes they'll be a bit picky if they've eaten nothing but a single prey item for a long time. Adult tarantulas that have been raised on crickets often refuse roaches until they get hungry enough. Given that it's been eating mice, I'm sure it's quite plump. Don't be afraid of it fasting, because it probably will. Offer crickets or roaches, your choice. If it denies, just try again later. I've had tarantulas refuse dubia for nearly a year before they gave in. Once they finally take down the new prey, they don't have an issue with it again.

As for the size of prey, whatever you want. A tarantula of that size (and especially of that species) can eat pretty much any invertebrate prey you're going to offer. You may need to put it on a diet, though. Can we see a picture?

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
You don't need to worry, mice-only diet (questionable, to say the least, btw) or not, T's run on instincts and will always recognize their prey.
Generally, everything they're able to take down can be considered food.
Insects of all kinds are best, mice, or only mice, may cause problems (too many proteins and fat).

Try crickets like acheta domesticus for example.

Edit: sniped...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, because the Theraphosidae reached a too heavy level of addiction at this point. It's like trying to heal an hardcore crack head that just 'GTA' a 4K TV for $50 with a packet of Marlboro :troll:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They eat anything they can overpower...
... and some things they can't! I wish I had video of my 2.5" P. cancerides trying to take down a male dubia :rofl: Kept getting kicked off only to strike again. The venom is what eventually took the roach down, not the power.