Can a T be fussy about what it eats ?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I've had my Brachpelma Emilia since December last year , I was told by the previous owner that she would only eat crickets , which I tried a few times , but she never touches them . Since them I've kept to locust which my other Ts are happy with . can a T be that fussy that they'd just not eat ? I know they can on occasion go up to a year not eating .

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I've had my Brachpelma Emilia since December last year , I was told by the previous owner that she would only eat crickets , which I tried a few times , but she never touches them . Since them I've kept to locust which my other Ts are happy with . can a T be that fussy that they'd just not eat ? I know they can on occasion go up to a year not eating .
It happens, some are picky and will only take certain feeders. If they're hungry enough they usually come around, sometimes it might just be cause they're not hungry, especially with large adults. Maybe that's the case with your B.emilia, as long as she's plump I wouldn't worry about it. They grow very slow, so a few good feedings and they are likely to fast, just keep the water dish full and wait it out. ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It could also be in premolt..

But to answer your question yes. Some annoyingly so..
I have some P.sazamai that will only eat small crickets or super worms cut in half..
My female P.rufilata also prefers small crickets..

I have an E.uatuman that won't touch roaches or super worms to save its life.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It will eat eventually.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find it HIGHLY unusual for a T not to eat crix esp if it was eating them previously.

But Ts can be picky. Some of mine won't eat roaches, and would rather have roommates.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Yeah I don't know if I've ever had a T that did not eat crickets, I've had a few who only had crickets.. I'm pleased so far since I've been back I've gotten all my Ts to eat dubia or latts, as long as they eat one of those i'm ok with it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
can a T be that fussy that they'd just not eat ? I know they can on occasion go up to a year not eating .
My first tarantula, a mature female Avicularia avicularia, had been raised on crickets by the previous owner and would generally only take crickets from me. (I did get her to eat a mealworm once, but afterwards, she rejected mealworms.)

I would think that if a picky eater got really hungry, it might accept other feeders, but I just decided to keep a few crickets on hand for the old lady rather than starve her until she took something else.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
My first tarantula, a mature female Avicularia avicularia, had been raised on crickets by the previous owner and would generally only take crickets from me. (I did get her to eat a mealworm once, but afterwards, she rejected mealworms.)

I would think that if a picky eater got really hungry, it might accept other feeders, but I just decided to keep a few crickets on hand for the old lady rather than starve her until she took something else.
I think I will just get a few just in case them, I'm sure my Grammostola Pulchripes will finish them of if she turns her nose up at them . I've found that the crickets can be abit fast for some of my smaller Ts , such as my Euathlus sp Red .

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've had B.Smithi, B.Albopilosum, P.Regalis, P.Metallica, O.Violaceopes, O.Schioedtei, amongst others, all eat dubias for me thankfully, so my T's haven't been picky at all, but to answer your question yes, some can be very picky, my friend raised his B. Klassi on crix and it would refuse point blank to take anything else. I'm sure if he hadn't given in to the picky little bugger it would have taken down a dubia or six.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think I will just get a few just in case them, I'm sure my Grammostola Pulchripes will finish them of if she turns her nose up at them . I've found that the crickets can be abit fast for some of my smaller Ts , such as my Euathlus sp Red .
E.sp.Red is kind of a weird hunter. It will follow the feeder for a while, not doing anything, or run away if the feeder chases it. Once it has had enough of 'follow the leader' it strikes and eats. At least that is what mine does and what i've read on here. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
None that I have owned have ever been picky about the type of food offered. I have over 80 Ts from slings to adults and they all eat the dubias I give them.

Post a photo of your Brachypelma Emilia. It's likely she has plumped up and is just fasting. She could also be in an extended premolt like some others have suggested.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
It could also be in premolt..

But to answer your question yes. Some annoyingly so..
I have some P.sazamai that will only eat small crickets or super worms cut in half..
My female P.rufilata also prefers small crickets..

I have an E.uatuman that won't touch roaches or super worms to save its life.

+1 on the sazimai.. Won't eat a thing that moves.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Not a single picky eater in my bunch. Mine are mostly offered B lats with occasional waxies -- I stopped feeding crix due to the smell.

But truly, I've never heard of a T who won't take a cricket -- crix are nearly a guaranteed hit with any T.

Good luck getting yours to eat something.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
E.sp.Red is kind of a weird hunter. It will follow the feeder for a while, not doing anything, or run away if the feeder chases it. Once it has had enough of 'follow the leader' it strikes and eats. At least that is what mine does and what i've read on here. :)
I've always squashed the locust abit to give my little guy a chance of caughting it , don't think he / she would be quick enough otherwise

Deb60

Arachnosquire
None that I have owned have ever been picky about the type of food offered. I have over 80 Ts from slings to adults and they all eat the dubias I give them.

Post a photo of your Brachypelma Emilia. It's likely she has plumped up and is just fasting. She could also be in an extended premolt like some others have suggested.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Here is a picture of my B . Emilia, I think he / she looks ok , I was told they are about 3 and half yrs old now by the previous owner . Apparently he used to feed two crickets at a time ( once a week ) . IMG_0702.JPG

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Here is a picture of my B . Emilia, I think he / she looks ok , I was told they are about 3 and half yrs old now by the previous owner . Apparently he used to feed two crickets at a time ( once a week ) . View attachment 242409
No need to worry about feeding for her, that B.emilia is plump enough, I wouldn't be surprised if she went into pre molt soon.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
T
No need to worry about feeding for her, that B.emilia is plump enough, I wouldn't be surprised if she went into pre molt soon.
Thank you for your opinion , still worry even after keeping some Ts for seven months , only had a sling moult so far .

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
T

Thank you for your opinion , still worry even after keeping some Ts for seven months , only had a sling moult so far .
We've all been there, ;) I'm sure everything will be fine. All you need to do is keep the water dish full and wait it out.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here is a picture of my B . Emilia, I think he / she looks ok , I was told they are about 3 and half yrs old now by the previous owner . Apparently he used to feed two crickets at a time ( once a week ) . View attachment 242409
Yeah, she is plump. I'd make sure she had water and try again in a few weeks. I can understand the worry though. I always feel better once a T has eaten in my care. Some will go for a lot of time in between eating. My Euathlus sp. Yellow only eats one out of every 4 times I try to feed her. She is plump and has has a slow metabolism so she doesn't eat as often as my other Ts. My B.albopilosum got really plump and I haven't feed her in a few months trying to slim her up some. It's almost time for her to molt and she is pretty dark.

I think your ok. Keep an eye out for changes in her abdomen size and shape. If she is doing ok and the abdomen looks good you are likely fine.

Last edited: