Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have lots of pets, and would absolutely love to have an ant colony. I've done a lot of research, but I'm not rushing into anything. Please post updates!
I'm the same. Would love a ant colony that kept on the smaller size that would accept pre killed crickets, mealworms, roaches etc.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I'm the same. Would love a ant colony that kept on the smaller size that would accept pre killed crickets, mealworms, roaches etc.
Oh yea for sure, ants really spark my nerdyness my favorite are fire ants but I know they obviously aren't a beginner species. I'd be happy with a simple pavement ant colony though haha.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh yea for sure, ants really spark my nerdyness my favorite are fire ants but I know they obviously aren't a beginner species. I'd be happy with a simple pavement ant colony though haha.
I'd like a species that didn't hibernate, ate primarily protein (pre killed feeders) and didn't require loads of space. I'd just get lost watching them dismember a cricket and carry it back to their nest.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I'd like a species that didn't hibernate, ate primarily protein (pre killed feeders) and didn't require loads of space. I'd just get lost watching them dismember a cricket and carry it back to their nest.
Sounds almost like you want a fire ant colony :p except for the loads of space thing, as the fire ant colony grows, they need more space, and from what I understand boy will they grow and grow and grow.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I'm sure you are, but if you aren't familiar with antscanada on youtube it's an awesome channel, you should check it out.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
basin79, sounds like you need a lasius niger colony, or maybe a messor barbarus colony. However it all depends on where you live. If you live in the U.S. you can only have species in your state. It is illegal to ship queens across state lines.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
I have lots of pets, and would absolutely love to have an ant colony. I've done a lot of research, but I'm not rushing into anything. Please post updates!
No problem, I will. Also, I noticed we both live in WI, what city do you live in?

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
ehhh.... you live about 2 1/2 hours from me. I tell you what when you are ready to start a ant colony, just join formiculture.com. I am a member there. T.C. is the username there by the way.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
ehhh.... you live about 2 1/2 hours from me. I tell you what when you are ready to start a ant colony, just join formiculture.com. I am a member there. T.C. is the username there by the way.
I just meant tips for the most part, since you're nearby I'm sure you understand all of the laws and everything.

Cool, I'll check it out

basin79

ArachnoGod
basin79, sounds like you need a lasius niger colony, or maybe a messor barbarus colony. However it all depends on where you live. If you live in the U.S. you can only have species in your state. It is illegal to ship queens across state lines.
I live in England.