Campestratus climber

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have been having trouble with my E. campestratus. Apparently she just cannot stop climbing the side of her tank. She's started to become more active than usual and it concerns me. She keeps falling and I don;t want her to get hurt. How can I stop her from doing this?

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She probably doesn't like the substrate for some reason. It may be too damp or too dry.....it may just not be what she wants. If you just put her in her house, it may take time for her to get used to it. My suggestion would be to try a different substrate. If you think it may be too damp, let it dry some. If it's too dry, mist it a little. Some T's are picky about their dirt. To prevent falling, add more substrate so that she can reach the ground if she needs to without falling far. Hope that helped some....

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second that opinion. We have had problems like this with several of our T's and after quite a few substrate changes we usually find something that works.

What exactly are you using now? And how wet is it (if at all)

Ali

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I might just switch her to straight sphagnum peat moss then. I'm finding my new T's who have it as their substrate love it.

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is what almost all of mine are on now. Just straight peat. I might also add that our cobalt will only accept BONE DRY peat. When I mist in there even a little she hangs from the top untill it dries. She is crazy.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Cobalt Luci perpetually hides in her burrow all day long. She only comes out at night as most of my defensive spiders do.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My camp does that too, but its not a substrate thing -- she spends most of her time on the substrate, but when shes out and about in the tank, she's like 45% of the time climbing and on the roof... usuallyi have to take her out and place her back on the ground, and she's cool, but sometimes she falls...

if yours is always on the tank side, then its probably a substrate thing.. otherwise it may not be..

ive got some G.rosea's that do that sometimes.. we don't really see them ALL the time int he wild, so i guess we really don't know...

try the substrate thing though.

hope s/he's ok!

peace,
dave

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Or is there something else in the tank that is annoying her? Are there any uneaten crickets running round?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My campestratus climbs the walls when : A- I have been handling her or B- the temp in her tank is too high.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I did change the substate. Gypsy seemed to be a little wary about this new surface. She was scrambling around trying to climb the walls again but she was less successful than her previous attempts. I guess Sphagnum Peat kind of made her lose traction. But she's starting to get used to it now. She still has been having a sort of attitude problem lately though. I hope this is just a seasonal thing.