Camp pics

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got back from a weekend in the Adirondacks (NY) and I saw sooo many great spiders. I've got pics, sorry if the quality isn't that great. I don't know what any are, so feel free to ID.

The first three are all the same species. The largest I saw was about the legspan of a penny. That first one is hiding in the vinyl siding, if that helps give an idea of the size. The fourth picture is very similar to the others, except more or a red/orange color. It's eating a normal sized housefly.

edit: errr, hold on I'm having upload issues

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first two here are the same spider. It's yellow and black, and I think it had a white patch on top of the abdomen, couldn't get a good look at the top. This one was amazing because it built a dome shaped web over the ground. You can see it if you look close in the first pic.

The dragonfly is just because. I like dragonflies, they're so cool, and apparently can see you coming from about 5 feet away, as I had the worst time getting a pic.

The last two might be the same species I'm not sure. They're dock spiders, they live around the water, and can walk on water with ease. They're normally about the size of a quarter and I've seen them as big as a fifty cent piece. Except for the one in the last pic. It has about a 4" legspan, huge!

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Horray for spider sightings! :D If I'm camping somewhere that has permanent restrooms, I often find myself distracted checking out the bugs that are hanging out around the lights -- and the spiders who cleverly built their webs there! {D

That's a damselfly, by the way. Pretty little creatures! We have tons around our apartment keeping down the mosquito numbers.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Last one is a Dolomedes species. They make good additions to an invert collection. They do well in a 32 oz deli cup with 1" damp substrate and a slanted piece of bark to perch on.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last one is a Dolomedes species. They make good additions to an invert collection. They do well in a 32 oz deli cup with 1" damp substrate and a slanted piece of bark to perch on.
Thanks for the info. I didn't want to take any home without some idea how to care for 'em first. Will they eat anything a T would eat?