Camouflaged Spooders

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
So after recently and expectedly acquiring a beautiful little Pandercetes Gracilis, I have been making an extra effort lately to look for for very well camouflaged spiders, particularly on rough barked trees. I have a whole new appreciation for how well our little friends can disguise themselves, and would like to share a handful of my discoveries on here.

First up is my Pandercetes Gracilis female, she is the size of my thumbnail and the smallest genus in the huntsman family.

Next is called a three pointed orb weaver, or Novakiella Trituberculosa

Next, a Wrap-around Spider who lives at the front of our house, Dolophones Turrigera. This one may be tricky to spot initially.

And finally, a wild breeding pair of Hersiliidae sp. Two-tailed Spiders. 20190815_163332.jpg

I plan to update this thread as I find more of camoflauged friends. If anybody else has found an interesting species that uses similar techniques to these ones, feel free to share as well!

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
great thread, keep 'em comin!

It took me a bit to find Dolophones Turrigera, that bugger has some good field crafting skills lol

Last edited:

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Yeah, we need a hint! I think it's one of those spoods you need to hear a faint "hehehe..." from to find.

By the way, here's another good one:

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Checking out s rainforest bushwalk today so I'm sure I'll find a bunch more. Hoping to catch H.Formidabilis and I'll definitely show you guys how well some of the mygalomorphs here conceal their burrows

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
So here's a few of the primitives we saw today.

These ones are one of only a few species in the genus Arbanitis that construct lids. Also interesting is that the lids are hinged from the bottom and open like a drawbridge. The ring of silk in front of the lid acts as a more accurate indicator of where to strike when prey comes past. The lids are covered in dirt and below are 2 well concealed ones next to each other.
20190824_103348.jpg

If you pull the lid down, a regular trapdoor burrow appears.
20190824_103137.jpg

Below is a Hadronyche Valida web. Normally they conceal them a bit more with dirt and sticks, but the triplines are always a giveaway. Not quite as stealthy as the next species.
20190824_101540.jpg

Finally on my list on sneaky spiders, is Euplos species. Despite the fact they are completely brown, they are called Golden Trapdoors, and some unique species are named Palisade Trapdoors. The lid is 3-4mm thick and the interior lining is 3mm thick and, solid as rock when dry and tear-proof as rubber when damp.
Burrow closed.
20190824_102531.jpg

Burrow open.
20190824_102546.jpg

So that's it for today's camoflauged spiders. Once again, feel free to share your own findings as well!

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
So here's a few of the primitives we saw today.

These ones are one of only a few species in the genus Arbanitis that construc lids. Also interesting is that the lids are hinged from the bottom and open like a drawbridge. The ring of silk in front of the lid acts as a more accurate indicator of where to strike when prey comes past. The lids are covered in dirt and below are 2 well concealed ones next to each other.
View attachment 318571

If you pull the lid down, a regular trapdoor burrow appears.
View attachment 318572

Below is a Hadronyche Valida web. Normally they conceal them a bit more with dirt and sticks, but the triplines are always a giveaway. Not quite as stealthy as the next species.
View attachment 318573

Finally on my list on sneaky spiders, is Euplos species. Despite the fact they are completely brown, they are called Golden Trapdoors, and some unique species are named Palisade Trapdoors. The lid is 3-4mm thick and the interior lining is 3mm thick and, solid as rock when dry and tear-proof as rubber when damp.
Burrow closed.
View attachment 318574

Burrow open.
View attachment 318575

So that's it for today's camoflauged spiders. Once again, feel free to share your own findings as well!
How do you even find the Euplos sp. burrows while they're closed?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
How do you even find the Euplos sp. burrows while they're closed?
It was right next to a group of other species so I guess I was looking hard at the ground. In comparison to about 100 or so of the others, we only found 2 Euplos sp.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Now, post the Dolophones Turrigera pic again with a circle around the spood. I still can't see it! Me and my friends are trying to guess where it is, but we can't agree... :happy: