Cameroon Red Baboon Tarantula

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey can anyone tell me anything about the Cameroon Red Baboon Tarantula? I think i might like one but i really know nothing about them!
Thanks,

Mark

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They require High humidity,Get to about 7 inches,They sometimes make very elaborate tunnels,They have large back legs,Big but not as big as the King Baboons.You'll probably want to check with other people than me tho.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Hysterocrates gigas. OW species. Aggressive. 7-8" legspan as adults. Rusty brown to red in coloration. Obligate burrowers. Like it moist, and are said to be able to swim. Slings have neat little red legs under the right light.

-V

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. gigas is one of my favorite ts. They're pretty easy to care for provided you keep their substrate moist and give them a lot of room to burrow. They grow quickly, they're voracious eaters, and they're pretty easy to breed, too. The only downside (if you consider it a downside) is that they are pretty aggressive and don't make good "pets" per se. But if you want a big, impressive spider that builds like an engineer and eats everything in sight, you might like them.

I'm a little biased toward this species, they were the first ts I ever successfully bred. :)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting, thanks guys....i think ill wait a little while before i venture into the realm of old world agressive spiders =)

Mark

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bjorgly,
Its a H. gigas. And what a neat Tarantula. Their tunneling machines. You'll seldomly see it aboue ground, but knowing what you got below makes it worth having. IMO...

Their very fast growing, and mean. You souldn't have any ideas of holding it, cause you wont. Substrate needs to be moist.

Their eating machines too. Mine loves pinkys, crixs, wax worms, anything. I put a 20 oz. T-bone in there and it ate the whole thing, bone and all. :D :D just kidding, no steak..

There cheap to buy also, I just ordered another one from Kelly Swift and it was $7.00..

Buy it, you'll be glad you did.

E

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
h.Gigas

yes they are very cool T's. Provide enough humidity a large water dish. I use a bowl with some rocks on the bottom.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh i wouldnt worry about me wanting to hold it =). I wont even hold my sweet little redknee. How would i make the ideal cage for the cameroon red baboon? kind of substrate? how deep? 10 gal cage or smaller? let it burrow or just put a flower pot in there?

all info appreciated, thanks!

Mark

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep them in a mixture of peatmoss and potting soil with a scant handful of water crystals thrown in. It's important to give them plenty of ventilation to prevent fungus since they like their soil damp. Babies can be kept in deli cups, then moved up to critter keepers and 5-10 gallon aquaria when they're adults. I try to give them substrate at least two or three inches deeper than the outstretched length of the spider. Letting them burrow rather than using a hide makes it much easier to deal with their humidity requirements.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks guys, ill consider more getting this spider. Any more tips for care of this spider always appreciated, all ive got now is a b.smithi and an a.geniculata so it would be quite the change!

Mark

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Here's a picture of my H. gigas, whom I recently moved to a new vivarium. It's been amazing watching her dig her new burrow--what a little backhoe! A vivarium that allows burrowing and a very moist substrate are critical for this species, as others have stated. I've also heard it's better not to keep juveniles in plastic vials, as they are such determined burrowers they will eventually work their way right through plastic. Some experienced keepers I know believe that once they're larger, they benefit from a periodic flooding of the lower level of their vivarium. Swamp spiders!

Joy

Last edited:

happymeal

Arachnopeon
I order one from Kelly Swift about a week ago (1/4-1/2 s'ling) it has already borrowed down to the bottom and cleaned it out.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Nice pic joy. Would someone care to elaborate on the correct method of flooding substrate without removing the t/creating conditions conducive to mold.

-V

Joy

Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Nice pic joy. Would someone care to elaborate on the correct method of flooding substrate without removing the t/creating conditions conducive to mold.

-V
With mine, I just pour in enough water periodically to keep the bottom portion of the substrate wet/very moist. The one in a picture was a tiny sling when I got her, so obviously it's been working well so far. As for mold, unfortunately these conditions are very conducive to it, but it hasn't been a real problem so far, perhaps because I keep my gigas on 100% peat. I have got some interesting mushroom growth, but that's about it.

Joy

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

My bet is she started when it was a spiderling, and worked with it.

-V

Joy

Old Timer
Re: Hey

Originally posted by Alonso99
How did you approach to handling that H.Gigas?
I had to dig her out of her old tank to move her to a newer, larger one. I figured she'd come out with legs upraised and fangs bared, in which case I'd never have thought of handling her, but she was quite calm and seemed interested in walking around exploring. I think myself that body language is a much more reliable indicator of temperament than species :)

Joy

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I Think you have some supernatural way of feeding them pork rinds from your fingers and mesmerizing them to walk slowly and gently around your hands, bowing and scraping at every which turn [this is 90% compliment and 10%wonder] :)

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
I Think you have some supernatural way of feeding them pork rinds from your fingers and mesmerizing them to walk slowly and gently around your hands, bowing and scraping at every which turn [this is 90% compliment and 10%wonder] :)
Thank you for the compliment! But I refuse to either confirm or deny the pork-rind thing ;)

Oh, and V, she has never shown the slightest form of aggression toward me. Being an obligate burrower, however, I rarely see her, except when it's moving day!

Joy