1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Cameras

Discussion in 'Through the Lens' started by herpsandinverts, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Advertisement
    Hi

I'm not sure if this has been asked but could everyone post what cameras they use, as I want to get a good one for taking pics of my inverts and reptiles. Can you say weather you had to by a macro lense etc.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. DanCameron

DanCameron Arachnoknight Old Timer

I use a 4.0 megapixel digital camera I picked up at Kmart. Think it's Kodak. My pictures turn out fuzzy. It has a 6x zoom on it. Whenever I take a picture of something that is not a spider, the picture does not seem that fuzzy. Think I need to try different lighting and zooming on it. But that's what I use for right now.

3. GabooN

GabooN Arachnoknight Old Timer

I have a Canon Pro90 IS that my dad gave me when he got his Canon Rebel XT. Its a view years old, but does the job. I did have to buy macro lense filters for it though, which were about $80 CAN for the set of three. It will tide me over until I have the money to spend on a digital SLR.

4. Becky Wheeler

Becky Wheeler Arachnoknight Old Timer

I use the Kodak easyshare cx6230, It's only recently that i've got the hang of taking really good pictures especially close ups of Tarantulas. But the great thing about this camera is it will tell you when you are focused and have a chance to take a good shot. especially for thoughs tiny s'lings.

5. chris73

chris73 Arachnoknight

I have a cheap 4.0 pix Kodak as well and you are right about the lighting. My camera needs very bright light to take a clear picture. Try to light up your subject more and your results will be acceptable. And don't use the digital zoom either - that makes everything fuzzier.

6. Bark

Bark Arachnoknight Old Timer

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P93 and I just bought the Cybershot DSC-S40 for my girlfriend.

I really like both cameras a lot and they are great for taking 640x480 videos and normal photographs. The battery life is incredible, but the LCD is a bit small. The S40 doesn't have a macro mode and the P93's only can take shots from 10cm (4 inches) away from the intended subject. It does a good job for the money I spent on it, but my Tarantula photos are not nearly as sharp as the ones taken by folks that have Canons and Nikon cameras.

7. mostasteless

mostasteless Arachnopeon

NJ
    I just got a Canon Powershot A610 for my mom. I played with it a bit and I have to say, for the price I am really impressed. If I don't forget, When I get home from work I will post a few pics taken with it.

8. JPD

JPD Arachnobaron Old Timer

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700. Nikon is really good for Macro.
    I did find out later that the lower models of Nikon work just as well and for half the cost.

9. Venom

Venom Arachnoprince Old Timer

I have an Olympus C-7070: 7.1 megapixels, 3cm macro mode, 27-110mm ( equiv' ) zoom lens, loads of image options/ manual controls and really good pic quality. I would recommend it if you are interested in photography in general, and in landscapes and macros in particular.

10. Goliath

Goliath Arachnodemon Old Timer

I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5. It is 5.1 MP, with the macro range as close a 3 cm, 36-432 mm (equivalent) zoom. It comes with an adapter ring if you would like to put larger lenses on the camera. I have been very pleased with the camera, has image stabilization software, which is very nice for high zoom pictures. The lens system is made by Leica, which is really good quality. The downside is the software for downloading the pictures to the computer is not bad but requires a couple extra steps compared to nikon view.
    Mike

11. Windchaser

Windchaser Arachnoking Old Timer

I use a Sony F717. It is a few years old,, but it is a great camera.

12. Schlyne

Schlyne Arachnoangel Old Timer

I use a canon digital rebel. I usually shoot pictures with the 28-80mm tamron lens.

13. Petax ME Super. Oldschool 35mm film cameras kick ass.

14. kosh

kosh Arachnobaron Old Timer

I just ordered a Canon A610 from Dell Home over the weekend. I got it for $204 including shipping. Can't wait to get it and try it out...

15. TimV

TimV Arachnosquire Old Timer

Me too, but with a 100mm Canon Macro.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.