Cameras

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know a whole lot about cameras, I would like some opinions. What is a good one for taking close ups of your spiders? I love taking pictures, but all I have is my crappy iPhone camera.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I can't really make any recommendations, but it doesn't take a super-expensive rig to take passable photos, really. This isn't great, but I took it on macro with a $79.00 Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot. I've upgraded since then somewhat, but I'm still happy with some of the images I got from that little camera.

Phiddipus audax, Bold Jumping Spider

Attachments

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a pretty good close up. That's really what I'm looking for. I don't need anything super fancy and I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I can't recall if I have posted this before, but by way of comparison here is another example. This time it is one I took shortly after upgrading my rig. The first picture of the spider was taken with a $79 point and shoot, like I said. This next one of a cicada was taken with a $379 "bridge camera". Specifically a Canon SX-40 HS ("Bridge camera" means a camera that is sort of a step between P&S and a DSLR and they usually have a rather large zoom ability and greater flexibility, but are still technically point-and-shoot cameras.)
Now, depending on the subject and the effort I go to I can get more satisfactory results from the higher priced camera, but as you can see, in comparison the cheaper camera holds its own for quickie hand-held macro shots and I have taken several with it that I am quite proud of, truth be told. I am not a skilled photographer in any sense of the term, mind you. I'm sure there are many much more accomplished folks here that can offer better advice than I'm providing. My point is that you don't have to invest too much money to get enjoyable photos. Just don't go TOO cheap, you get what you pay for. Find one that interests you and you feel is affordable and then read reviews on-line. As many reviews as you can find, I suggest, if you want to get your money's worth and be happy with your purchase.
Note: Both the earlier picture and this one were cropped and the contrast was lightly tweaked in post-processing. Plus, I take a lot of shots to make sure I get one that I really like.

Attachments

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe try finding a camera store take a small item in with you and test out the cameras. Find something that fits your budget.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^THAT was my plan of attack.
Ive really been toying with the idea of my first camera lately, and have been wondering the same question. I could read reviews and/or advice until my head explodes, and STILL make the wrong choice. Shopping for a new/good camera is kind of overwhelming when you know next to nothing about photography.
I just plan on bring in some small objects, and sort of playing around in the camera section for a while when the time comes. Even if it takes me an hour lol... people may think im strange but WHATEVER:cool: afterall, its MY money i plan to spend, so i want to ensure i make the right choice. I want something that takes the best pictures in my price range, yet also something im comfortable using and that i can easily learn to use.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, you can definitely over-analyse when researching on-line. It took me a month to choose the one I ended up with after sifting through every review and comment I could find on the candidates. But if you at least study a little, you may be able to better decide if the things listed as shortcomings are truly shortcomings for you when you actually check the product out physically. Reviews are handy to alert you of problems that may not be immediately apparent during a hands-on test at a store.
If you go to a camera shop, they probably will let you take photos with the prospective purchase. I doubt that the ones on display at department stores even contain memory cards. But the price difference between the two types of stores is probably appreciable. Maybe the best strategy would be go to a store and look them over, find one you are interested in and then check reviews on the model to find problems or advantages that you may have overlooked....

Oh, and beware of "Benzedrine's Law". No matter what the item I choose is, if it is high ticket, it is a sure thing that a month after I buy it a newer model is released causing a significant price-drop for the one I chose to purchase. It never fails.:mad:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have the same problem haha... stupid samsung LED smart tvs

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I keep convincing myself that If I always wait for a better deal, I'd NEVER get anything I wanted because there is always something better coming down the pipes.

I'm going to place just one more photo, I don't want this thread to appear to be a vanity project for me. But I think this one serves as a good example of what you can get with a low-end camera with a little luck. It isn't the greatest, but I have yet to get as good an action shot with my comparatively more expensive camera. But in fairness I am just now starting to come out of the learning curve with it.

Taken hand-held with a flash, cropped.

Attachments

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cameras that take good quality photos and aren't super expensive?

Wasn't sure where to put this. I asked a similar question in someone's picture thread, but I felt I should ask everyone just for the heck of it. What kind of cameras do you guys use to photograph your Ts? Seems like all the pics I take are of terrible quality. I can't even photograph slings, because they just show up as a dark little blur. Thanks!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wasn't sure where to put this. I asked a similar question in someone's picture thread, but I felt I should ask everyone just for the heck of it. What kind of cameras do you guys use to photograph your Ts? Seems like all the pics I take are of terrible quality. I can't even photograph slings, because they just show up as a dark little blur. Thanks!
Cellphones are that - phones. A cam on one is just "supplemental" and shouldn't be expected to work like a DSLR or P&S.

Personally, I'd love to get a -real- camera at some point, but so far, my Panasonic DMC-TZ7 has served me well. There are newer versions of that one out there that are as nice. HD Vid, macro shots, lots of settings to fiddle with, or just the AUTO function. Also has a wide-angle objective Leica objective which is pretty nice and 12x optical (not digital!) zoom.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
It's less about the camera and more about the lens and lighting. For extreme close ups, a true macro lens is needed, but for just close up shots, any lens with a small minimum focus distance should do fine. Obviously, the better quality lenses will be able to make sharper pictures with better colors, but that really depends more on the photographer knowing what he/she is doing. Light is also important for a number of reasons, including amount of time needed to properly expose the image. The darker your room, the longer exposure is necessary, the more likely it is you will end up with a blurry picture due to camera shake, and even a relatively brightly lit room is deceptively dark compared to being outside in full sun.