Cameras for photoing spiders

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,

Just wondering, what megapixels should I look for when getting a camera so I can take detailed pics of my spiders and spiderlings?

I've found some *cheap* ones for around £150 that have 4.1 mega pixels - will this suffice for getting good quality photoes?

Cheers

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
It should be good. Make sure the camera also has a MICRO
(or did I mean to say MACRO)~WHATEVER!!LOL!
function. :? This helps with close ups and with tiny subjects=D

Last edited:

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
more mega=better

macro=MUST

but you don't always need tons of megapixels to get good macro shots...

this is my fujifinepix 2800 w/macro on its a 2megapixel camera

but obvioulsy if it had more megapixels it would look even better :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
WHOA MOMMA! A 4.1 megapixel camera in the U.S. is not available for under $400.00. (I've been shopping.) Hey wanna ship some cameras to the U.S?:D =D :D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
Hi all,

Just wondering, what megapixels should I look for when getting a camera so I can take detailed pics of my spiders and spiderlings?

I've found some *cheap* ones for around £150 that have 4.1 mega pixels - will this suffice for getting good quality photoes?

Cheers
Are you sure about that mate? :?

Digital cameras over here tend to start at around the £150 mark for a 2.1 MP....

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Cameras for photoing spiders

Originally posted by Lopez
Are you sure about that mate? :?

Digital cameras over here tend to start at around the £150 mark for a 2.1 MP....
Yup, www.ebay.co.uk there are a lot of 4.0 on buy it now for £130 - £160

I don't know if they are good or not though, but they are tempting for that price!

They're probably excess stock left at warehouses etc

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Actually, they are MOST probably "grey market" cameras that have no warranty and/or no instructional manual.... at least not in English. If you go to www.resellerratings.com and read up on a few companies that are notorious in the States like Broadway Photo, Digital Lidquidators, and A&M Photo World, and you willget an idea of the "bait and switch" type things you MUST be careful of when shopping for a camera or any type of electronics!

If it's too good to be true, it most likely is...

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I'd buy one from somewhere reputable like www.buyacamera.co.uk rather than Ebay, but it's your money. :)

I have a Fuji FinePix A204 (2.0 MegaPixels) which also has Macro Mode (ESSENTIAL for taking spiderpics.)

Here is a link to a picture I took with it today - I have not edited or shrunk the picture at all. (394k)

--->>> Click Me! <<<---

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ahhhh, the old "2 good 2 b true" thing. I KNEW it!! I'm thinking e-bay is probably my best bet.
I'm surprised at the Fuji though, I was told that 2.0 megapixels would NEVER photgraph the fine details on a T... which is what I want to capture the most. Your photo is AWESOME for 2.0! I'VE BEEN LIED TO!!

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And here's another example, larger spider this time

My female Chile rose (red-phase)

--->>> Click Me! <<<---

2.0 MP is fine for macro shots of all but the smallest spiderlings. :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Amazing... all this time I have been searching for a 3.1 megapixel or over... shopping, comparing prices, waiting for sales. I think I'm going out next payday and get that Fuji... whoa. And you'll better get ready, I'll be snapping pics like crazy! I'll dress my little Ts up in little outfits, and put them in baby strollers....

NOT!

Thanks Lopez! You've sold me! I'll call Fuji and have them send you commission!!:D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The key to succesful digital photographs is light.

Indoor light is no good unless you have very bright lighting - I use a windowsill or go outside for better natural light. I use a forced flash to bring the colours out.
If used in a dimly lit room your camera will not be able to focus properly and you will get very blurred shots. IF you're in a dim room then shining a pencil beam from a torch directly onto the carapace gives you enough light for the camera to autofocus.

One last big pic, just 'cos I like it :)

--->>> Click Me! <<<---

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ooooooooooooh, ahhhhhhhhhhh, I like it too! That one was GREAT! Keep 'em coming, I love looking at everyone's Ts!!!

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehe Great pics Lopez I will have to see if you have the nicer model Fuji or if I do, your pictures are brilliant, the one i listed was in macro as 2.0megapixel but has be condensed to be a more managable size, though How do you hold your T and take the pic...

when i did a bunch at home with macro I use the viewfinder, not the LCD and by the time I go to look to my hand for the pic my T is on his way :D My wife is too scared of Harry to get close enough to get a good macro of him in my hand and when I manage to get one off it always seems to focus on my hand not my T, probably cuz he is dark and I am white....but lighting is essential...it needs to be bright.....great pics...i will have to take some more too

in case you missed mine is the Fuji Finepix 2800...

edit:nope looks like mine is a tad better

Lopez do you take the pics with it set to Fine 2.0Megapixel or Standard or Basic or do you leave it set to Basic or Fine 1.0 Megapixel

I haven't tried any pics with mine on Fine 2.0 (best setting) lately i have used Fine 1.0 and occasionally Standard 2.0, I feel some experimenting coming on when I get home :D

Last edited:

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a sony 5.0 megapixel camera, but never use that many megapixels for a picture to be posted on the net. Basically, I only use 5 mp if its a pic i'm gonna print off and frame, or add to a photo album. Usually I just use around 2.5 (medium quality) and use the zoom. If you have high megapixels it takes forever for the pics to load.. those pple with dialup will be peturbed. 2.5 is really plenty IMHO anyway. Greatest thing about my camera is that lighting isn't a problem. It has "niteframing" which lets you take pictures in complete darkness that look like they were taken at daytime. This picture was taken with the lights off, and I think it was on 2 megapixel quality.

This is a simple 2.5 megapixel shot taken in room lighting..

*EDIT*
Oh yeah.. its a Sony DSC-F707

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ooo cheers guys, I hadn't actually thought about that..

I'm going to email the owner of the camera I'm interetsed in when I can afford it and check that everything is there before I buy. I should be getting it within 2 weeks so I'll keep you all informed

haha my female rosie is called 'Hariot' and we borrowed a male one called 'Harry' to breed them. Harry seems more popular than 'boris' as a spider name

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
since you're British, you might've heard of the British magazine, What Digital Camera? it reviews all types of digitals and i HIGHLY recommend it for choosing a camera.

i have the Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom and it is amazing. i use it for a lot of other photography however and have the 1gig microdrive in it. many Fuji cameras have superior optical zoom and i've never read a bad review about quality yet.

in addition, these cameras are usually not limited to one source of media. mine can take either a smartmedia, microdrive, or flashmemory. this is a nice advantage.

look carefully around for prices. however, that magazine will be the largest help you have ever found. it is excellent.

i heard about it from my photography professor and it's truly amazing the scope and range of cameras it covers.

good luck!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
AllenG:

I take all my shots on 2.0 MP Normal and then compress them in Photoshop (I usually resize to 800x600 and save at quality level 5)

I'm lucky in that most of my T's (except the damn Avic) sit still long enough for me to focus with one hand and hold them with the other - the LCD is very useful for this, as it means you don't need your head close to the camera.

Delongian:

Awesome camera m8, if I could have one feature it would be Nightframing, focusing in low light level situations is the bane of macro shots using a "cheap" digicam

skadiwolf:

A friend of mine has the S602 and it's fantastic.

But my budget was £175 and I stuck to it :)

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HOLY CRAP!!!!! I WANT I WANT I WANT *wife says*- "YOU are out OF YOUR FREAKING MIND, THE FINEPIX IS GOOD ENOUGH"

*I reply* "NO I WANT I WANT!!!!!"

If you don't mind me being nosey, did you pay the MSRP of 799? or did you find a deal....YOU CAN TAKE A PICTURE IN COMPLETE DARKNESS, oh i am getting excited if you know what I mean ;D OH MY I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Delonigan
I have a sony 5.0 megapixel camera, but never use that many megapixels for a picture to be posted on the net. Basically, I only use 5 mp if its a pic i'm gonna print off and frame, or add to a photo album. Usually I just use around 2.5 (medium quality) and use the zoom. If you have high megapixels it takes forever for the pics to load.. those pple with dialup will be peturbed. 2.5 is really plenty IMHO anyway. Greatest thing about my camera is that lighting isn't a problem. It has "niteframing" which lets you take pictures in complete darkness that look like they were taken at daytime. This picture was taken with the lights off, and I think it was on 2 megapixel quality.

This is a simple 2.5 megapixel shot taken in room lighting..

*EDIT*
Oh yeah.. its a Sony DSC-F707
;)

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I use the same type of camera as Skadiwolf (Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom ) to photograph my Ts. I can't tell you how much I love this camera. I only use a 256Mb memory card, since this is easily enough for over 100 medium res pics. Its an SLR with Macro and Super Macro, plus every possible option you could think of. The only thing that's not so hot is the inability to autofocus in the dark, but that's really not a big issue.
sample photo at med res