Camera recommendations for $500 or under?

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am picking up a new camera today or tomorrow.... and I am looking for people that have any recommendations one way or another with cameras.... maybe what they would buy (or have) or what they would stay away from. I take a fair amount of macro shots, but it also is a pretty heavily used family cam as well... lots of portraits and landscape shots...
Thanks in advance!

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would recommend the Canon S5 IS, I have its predecessor the S1 IS.

Art

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, I've been looking for a new camera too. I'm going to check that one out.
Pretty good macro shots with that one?

Last edited:

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can get a d50 kit off ebay for around that... .I would look into it. In the future maybe buy some lenses.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lumix DMC-FZ18K SLR-type 8 megapixel with a Leitz lens for around $350 or the DMC-FZ50K 10 megapixel which is just over $500

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i use a canon PS sd550....350.00 at the time and it seems to do ok???

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an olympus FE-something. I paid just under 300 for it, and love it

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Lumix DMC-FZ18K SLR-type 8 megapixel with a Leitz lens for around $350 or the DMC-FZ50K 10 megapixel which is just over $500
Seconded! I got the DMC-FZ50 recently and it is great in the field. Doesn't exactly slip into your pocket, but is good for serious photography. My only regret is that it doesn't use CMOS or similar for picture capture so it doesn't produce images of as high a quality as dSLRs. That being said, it offers incredible versatility without having to change lenses.

Cheers,
Dave