Camera advice

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just a tip for when you get your camera:

Check out web sites for hobby photographers, they often post tips for photography of various sorts.

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Luc,

your friend´s definitely right, in higher price categories older analog mirror reflex cameras are still beating digital cams.

1/2 is right as well, more than 5 or 6 MP isn´t really necessary, the quality of the lens plays an important role regarding the quality of the pics also. Good analog cameras often times do have better lenses than digital ones, as long as you don´t want to spend a lot of money.

And keep in mind that artifical light plays an important role in macro photography, too.

Thanks a lot for your compliment, I´m blushing ;). But I think you are exaggerating, my pics are missing some sharpness in depth because I can´t afford a really expensive cam.

Regards
Alex

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
Hi Luc,

your friend´s definitely right, in higher price categories older analog mirror reflex cameras are still beating digital cams.

1/2 is right as well, more than 5 or 6 MP isn´t really necessary, the quality of the lens plays an important role regarding the quality of the pics also. Good analog cameras often times do have better lenses than digital ones, as long as you don´t want to spend a lot of money.

And keep in mind that artifical light plays an important role in macro photography, too.

Thanks a lot for your compliment, I´m blushing ;). But I think you are exaggerating, my pics are missing some sharpness in depth because I can´t afford a really expensive cam.

Regards
Alex
What kind of cam do you use?
Is it an SLR or a compackt camera?
If it is and SLR you can easily ajust the sarpness of the photo with the camera. If it is compact camera it can be fixed in photoshop or equivalent editing programs.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alex,

Your photos beat many I see on various web pages during searches and are a lot more detailed than most. I'm not big on depth - I just want to see characteristics i.e. carinae, granulation, etc.

Luc

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I bought some times ago a Canon EOS 350D (with a 200mm macro lens) and I'm very happy with it, very good digital camera.
Cheers,
Eric

The_Monk

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thr fuji s7000 has an amazing macro function, it has two; normal and super. Super macro allows you to focus within 1cm of the object producing some amazing shots with a 6mp sensor! Fuji also put in their magic interpolation software which bumps the recorded output to 12mp! The only bad thing I found with this camera and is a general trait with most is shutter lag (the time for the shutter to open and shut from pushing the button). It has a decent optical zoom lens and some high ISO settings for low light, sometimes handy on the macro. Its outdated now as Fuji have replaced it but I've seen these cameras on ebay for a smidgin £200. I traded mine for a canon 20D last year and god its the dogs! Saving for a decent macro lens tho before I take some pics of my collection! If you want a good macro camera get the Fuji, it also does some excellent standard photos to. The advantage of such a big 12mp output is Poster size!! imagine an A1 poster of your favourite spider or scorp in a good defense posture! Stunning!!