Camel spider molting

Patobraszki

Arachnopeon
Hello,

This is my first post here. I've been following Arachnoboards for information on camel spiders for quite some time and now I'd like to give something back. One of our camel spiders has recently molted, so I'd like to share my observations and photos:
1) Unlike with tarantulas, with camel spiders the process is very long and can even take several weeks (three in our case). It begins with the camel spider taking the rather unusual position, as seen in the first photo. The tip here is: be patient and late it take as much time as needed. Nothing is wrong. I've read many reports on camel spiders living for very short periods of time and it makes me wonder how many of these cases were camel spiders thrown away still alive, but still molting... At one point we were sure ours was dead, but we decided to wait.
2) With the process underway, the camel spider ceases all activity and at some point becomes completely unresponsive. It actually appears to be dead. So here's a tip: it's not dead, so if you experience something like this, just keep waiting and don't get rid of the "carcass".
3) After a couple of weeks the rest of the molting process happens rather fast and lasts for about a day. And once it's completed, you can enjoy your "new" camel spider. Ours is still "fresh" and now we are still not certain if the molt went well, because we simply have no experience with them and information is scarce.
So, how about your experiences? Would you like to share some observations?

Attachments

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Very interesting... Good to know, I do plan on getting one when I'm able to source one out

Thank you for sharing :)

Patobraszki

Arachnopeon
They're also said to hibernate for winter months, so that's another possible period of staying inactive, but in this case the body position was characteristic for molting. Besides, we're having a super hot summer this year, so hibernation wasn't really an option :)

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is good to know. I had one come out of its shipping box motionless and legs slightly raised like in your photos. I assumed it was in premolt so I set it up, but no movement for several days and it started to smell a bit so I tossed it assuming it died. Do you know if they can survive being disturbed during this process?

Patobraszki

Arachnopeon
We've checked ours for life signs/reaction during its premolt state (slight poking, blowing, etc.) a couple of times. Normally it shouldn't be done, but we wanted to make sure it was still alive (this was our first camel spider molting, so next time we won't be trying any of this), and in the end none of our actions disturbed the process. The final stage is the crucial one, so that's when we stopped all interaction. Then again, ours didn't smell dead, but molting can always go wrong, just like with tarantulas.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I used to think these were one of the creepiest creepies but lately I have found them so adorable! Yours is very cute. I think I might get one.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I used to think these were one of the creepiest creepies but lately I have found them so adorable! Yours is very cute. I think I might get one.
Same here, I thought they were pretty creepy looking as well. I've seen many videos of them beating up on scorpions and widows... Now I'm trying to source one for myself :rofl:

Kaz Boots

Arachnopeon
This is extremely valuable information. I researched them many years ago when I first saw them and never saw any information on molting. I knew they molted but no information on time frame or details. I have been reading the scant information online for over a week as I now have 3 and wanted to see if any new info was available and have not come across info on molting. I have never had a tarantula so have not seen the position in tarantulas and would have expected a faster molt like my scorpions and I usually just find the molt and the few I saw curled it has been over pretty fast. I would never have expected 3 weeks.

Last edited:

tanyat07

Arachnopeon
Hello,

This is my first post here. I've been following Arachnoboards for information on camel spiders for quite some time and now I'd like to give something back. One of our camel spiders has recently molted, so I'd like to share my observations and photos:
1) Unlike with tarantulas, with camel spiders the process is very long and can even take several weeks (three in our case). It begins with the camel spider taking the rather unusual position, as seen in the first photo. The tip here is: be patient and late it take as much time as needed. Nothing is wrong. I've read many reports on camel spiders living for very short periods of time and it makes me wonder how many of these cases were camel spiders thrown away still alive, but still molting... At one point we were sure ours was dead, but we decided to wait.
2) With the process underway, the camel spider ceases all activity and at some point becomes completely unresponsive. It actually appears to be dead. So here's a tip: it's not dead, so if you experience something like this, just keep waiting and don't get rid of the "carcass".
3) After a couple of weeks the rest of the molting process happens rather fast and lasts for about a day. And once it's completed, you can enjoy your "new" camel spider. Ours is still "fresh" and now we are still not certain if the molt went well, because we simply have no experience with them and information is scarce.
So, how about your experiences? Would you like to share some observations?
Did yours by any chance flip over on its back first the back on to its front? Ours flipped its self over but before that was frantic running around where as normally it’s quite quiet.. she was just rehoused today too 🤦🏼‍♀️

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Interesting thread for sure... shame about the necro bump

tanyat07

Arachnopeon
I did see it was posted two years ago but was hoping someone may answer there’s really not much information online.. this was the only useful post I came across