Calling all Wolfie Lovers...

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
While doing some research on some of the Wolf spiders I began to wonder how many people we have here that have an interest in them? And what species you keep or have kept? I am currently only keeping Rabidosa rabida -Rabid Wolf Spider, but would love to have some of the other larger Wolves. So if you are interested in wolves and currently keep them or are interested in keeping them chime in! I am hoping that the female I have now (on a sac) will pop soon and I will have some avail.

Here is a link to my other thread with some pics of my female Click Me!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im not a big fan of trues.. But here are some shots of a couple wolfie mommas with some an egg sac..

Went on my first hunting trip with Terry D, & possumburg a few weeks ago.. Didnt see much.. But got a shot of these & had loads of fun just walking around with them.. :)

Momma #1 was hiding under a log.. Once it was flipped over she came running out..

Momma #2 never came out of her burrow.. We just took a picture & left her alone.. :)

I have these running around in the yard.. I have cought a few & kept them a few days.. They were pretty neat.. Super fast to.. :)

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can't get a good look at Momma 2 but Momma 1 looks to be a Rabidosa rabida, when I was in Oklahoma (hold back the joke all you Texans) the Rabidosa rabida were of such good size you could see their eyes at night like they were a large animal...

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I, too, like wolf spiders, but I have to say that size isn't everything. The small Pardosa sp., which outnumber the larger wolves in density and numbers of species (at least they do where I live), are also interesting.

Next season I plan some experiments with wild-caught wolfies and their egg sacs. I'm going to collect a dozen or more with sacs, then separate each from its sac and see if the spiders will then accept an egg sac belonging to another female (I tried this recently with a pair of P. moesta females, and they did accept each other's egg sac). After that, I will keep those spiders which accepted a foreign sac and see if they will also carry the babies when it hatches.

To make it interesting, I'm also going to do this with different species. Will a Trochosa terricola female accept the sac from an Alopecosa aculeata, for example? They are both about the same size and both spiders carry their sac in a similar way. And, if they do, will they accept the babies that hatch from them?

If spiders don't accept sacs or spiderlings of another species, why not? How can the female tell the difference? Different smell? Do the different spiderlings have different ways of hanging onto the mothers? Do different species of wolfies have different kinds of hairs on the female's abdomen, which only young of her own species can hang onto? Anyway, it poses some interesting questions.

Last edited:

davisfam

Arachnoknight
We are huge Wolfie lovers! :D We have owned many different species in the past couple of years. Currently, we have a Hogna lenta, Hogna georgicola, and a Geolycosa micanopy (Burrowing Wolfie). In the past, we've had experience with Hogna aspersa, Schizocosa avida, Rabidosa rabida, and maaany more species. We also have tons of pictures of them all that we were about to post anyway so we'll have the pictures up for you tomorrow at some point! It will be worth the wait, I promise! ;)

P.S. We have some photos in our "Picture Gallery"..

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a colorful little Pardosa mackenziana female I found a couple of weeks ago:

Attachments

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I, too, like wolf spiders, but I have to say that size isn't everything. The small Pardosa sp., which outnumber the larger wolves in density and numbers of species (at least they do where I live), are also interesting.

Next season I plan some experiments with wild-caught wolfies and their egg sacs. I'm going to collect a dozen or more with sacs, then separate each from its sac and see if the spiders will then accept an egg sac belonging to another female (I tried this recently with a pair of P. moesta females, and they did accept each other's egg sac). After that, I will keep those spiders which accepted a foreign sac and see if they will also carry the babies when it hatches.

To make it interesting, I'm also going to do this with different species. Will a Trochosa terricola female accept the sac from an Alopecosa aculeata, for example? They are both about the same size and both spiders carry their sac in a similar way. And, if they do, will they accept the babies that hatch from them?

If spiders don't accept sacs or spiderlings of another species, why not? How can the female tell the difference? Different smell? Do the different spiderlings have different ways of hanging onto the mothers? Do different species of wolfies have different kinds of hairs on the female's abdomen, which only young of her own species can hang onto? Anyway, it poses some interesting questions.
VERY interesting ideas...If I have multiple species this spring I would be interested in trying some of these experiments and compiling some data. And also dont get me wrong I was not trying to say smaller wolves are not as interesting, I just dont have the means for smaller spiders at the moment (until college is over)...so I want to start my wolf obsession with the larger species...

davisfam

Arachnoknight
VERY interesting ideas...If I have multiple species this spring I would be interested in trying some of these experiments and compiling some data. And also dont get me wrong I was not trying to say smaller wolves are not as interesting, I just dont have the means for smaller spiders at the moment (until college is over)...so I want to start my wolf obsession with the larger species...
If your wanting to start out with a big wolfiie; H. carolinensis :p We'll be out spider hunting that species later today, I'll post pictures along with the other Wolfiies tonight.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately, my ex took my camera when we split up, so I can't take pics of my three Lycosa tarantula females with sacs :/ At least two of them are fertile, probably not the third. Will try to get hold of a camera to take some pics when the babies hatch... the camera in iPhone 3 really sucks :(

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
My wolfies

I love Wolfies! Here are some pics of mine. :)

More pics in second post.

First pic is a sling I named Luckie, because when I found it, it was the last one left on Momma's back.

Second pic is Missy, Luckie's Mom. Here she has her second sack. Lucky Luckie will have many Bothers & Sisters soon; the slings will emerge within the next few days. :clap:

Third pic is Miss'r (miss her), my beautiful MM Wolfie. He is such a sweetie!

Fourth pic is a Pardosa milvina-she was such a nervous girl. I released her the day after she finished with her eggsack. Love her colorings.

Fifth pic is also a Pardosa, but am not sure of her exact specie name. She too was released the day after she produced her eggsack.

2 more pics in 2nd post to follow.... S.

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
MY WOLFIES Part II

Here are the other 2 pics!

First pic is a MM Schizocosa avida. He was a great eater, and always devoured his prey til only some legs and dust remained. Released 1 week after molting into a handsome MM.

Second pic is Mama, a tentatively-ID'd Hogna lenta. Sadly she passed away. She ate or buried the one eggsack she produced, and died a week later. I never found the eggsack. :-(

And that, my Friends, are my Wolf Family. If anyone has ideas on ID's for Miss'r and the "chocolate" Pardosa, please let us know. Missy I think is a Hogna lenta, and davisfam thinks so too.

I will be following this thread closely! Wolfie Lovers, UNITE!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap: S.

Last edited: