Calling all San Antonio local keepers!!

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Had an idea for a local Tarantula Secret Santa thing, where we could come up with a price point and meet up in a parking lot to exchange surprise T's to a local keeper. Thought it would be neat to not only meet who else is in the area, but also would be cool to get a mystery tarantula in exchange for surprising someone else.

The criteria for each person, so that we make sure someone who is new to the hobby doesn't end up with an OBT as their 2nd T, could be something as simple as adding a comment on here saying you're interested and writing your preferences. Something like:

NW - Terrestrial
OW - Arboreal

etc, etc...

Just thought it was a cool idea. I'd do it with folks outside of TX but then we have to take into account shipping and shipping conditions and it'd be a large pain in the butt for all involved.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Well I’m a SA somewhat local in boerne and I think that this may work!! Hopefully we can get some more hill country-ish / local SA keepers to join in!! It may be too late for us to do it this year but we could always still try and put together a meet up or do it for half Christmas or next year!

I think it could be a fun take on like a mystery box order but between members here on AB!!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
@Smotzer @EnigmaNyx you could do this nationwide, everyone would be out of pocket around 50 bucks for overnight shipping. Doesn't even have to be Christmas. maybe a once a year a group exchange. Everyone in a hat, draw a name then on said date ship the mystery tarantula or tarantulas. seems fun. could come up with a criteria.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Smotzer @EnigmaNyx you could do this nationwide, everyone would be out of pocket around 50 bucks for overnight shipping. Doesn't even have to be Christmas. maybe a once a year a group exchange. Everyone in a hat, draw a name then on said date ship the mystery tarantula or tarantulas. seems fun. could come up with a criteria.
I agree, to be honest I think it would work best probably whole AB and nationwide with getting member involement. AB's arachonofuctions sub, seems to be not very active with strong uses, Ive tried to draw up like local stuff in jersey and in texas and people never seem interested.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I agree, to be honest I think it would work best probably whole AB and nationwide with getting member involement. AB's arachonofuctions sub, seems to be not very active with strong uses, Ive tried to draw up like local stuff in jersey and in texas and people never seem interested.
Just like the hide here for forum supporters, it is not very active. Would be a cool event, once a year or every quarter, have the big swap event.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just like the hide here for forum supporters, it is not very active. Would be a cool event, once a year or every quarter, have the big swap event.
Yeah I think with some figuring out it could be a cool community thing to do! Ive been meaning to support but I just always forget

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I’d be down for nationwide. I’d imagine it’d be pretty successful.

Gravy Train

Arachnopeon
I'm interested as well. Been a long time since I've kept T's, but I just got back into it after many years away. Would be cool to do a local meetup or something sometime in the future.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'm interested as well. Been a long time since I've kept T's, but I just got back into it after many years away. Would be cool to do a local meetup or something sometime in the future.
Well welcome back fellow texan!! Looks like your new to AB as well! Be good to have another SA local on the boards!

Gravy Train

Arachnopeon
Well welcome back fellow texan!! Looks like your new to AB as well! Be good to have another SA local on the boards!
Thanks! Feels good to be back. Started back up with an OBT to reacquaint myself with T's. Looking for some of the horned baboons as my next few purchases. Hoping to find some at the upcoming expo!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks! Feels good to be back. Started back up with an OBT to reacquaint myself with T's. Looking for some of the horned baboons as my next few purchases. Hoping to find some at the upcoming expo!
Well thats one way to dip your toes back in lol. How long ago was it that you were in the hobby?

When and where is the expo?

Gravy Train

Arachnopeon
Well thats one way to dip your toes back in lol. How long ago was it that you were in the hobby?

When and where is the expo?
Its been about 6 years since I was in the hobby last. I had an OBT, T. Stirmi and an Avic back then.

The expo is in McQueeney, TX on Feb 13th & 14th. It’s a quarterly expo. Nothing big, but a fun time nonetheless.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's another expo near Corpus Christie in February too, blanking on the name though.