Calling all OBT owners! We want your enclosure + webbing pictures!

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi guys

I'm trying to put together a little pile of knowledge about the OBT and how varied they can be. Specifically on how the webbing habits can be vastly different even when kept in similar conditions

So, many of you will know that there's a never ending debate on are they arboreal, terrestrial, heavy webbers etc etc etc. I honestly don't mind how they're classified, I want to see what they actually do!

So please submit photos of your OBT enclosures, along with the nifty quotable fill in form below

OBT Owner: [INSERT NAME]
Time in enclosure: [INSERT TIME]
Humidity: [HIGH/MEDIUM/LOW/VERY LOW]
Approx Temp: [80s/70s/60s/etc]

Then throw in a picture showing how they've webbed up the enclosure!

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OBT Owner: BrynWilliams
Time in enclosure: 6 months
Humidity: VERY LOW (+ water dish)
Approx Temp: 70s-80s

OBT 1 - Typhus

OBT 2 - Erebus

I think it's cool that my one has made a loooooooong tube underground, and my other has used the bark to make a single hideout and not webbed at all else. Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing yours!

Bryn

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I need to set up some individuals for this experiment. I should be able to do that tonight and at least get some 'Day 1' pictures.

--Joe

Audrey16

Arachnopeon
lol I cant belieive how little web there is in those set ups. Before mine was cleaned out you couldnt even see into the tank it was completley webbed up. Im off on hols in the morning but will post sum pics when I get back next week.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol I cant belieive how little web there is in those set ups. Before mine was cleaned out you couldnt even see into the tank it was completley webbed up. Im off on hols in the morning but will post sum pics when I get back next week.

Exactly! I was surprised by the little webbing they've done too, that was partly the reason for setting up this thread. That and joe said he wanted to try and document it between a few of his new slings

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you are missing the greatest thing of all here brian...size...the size of the tarantula affects it all. a small sling under an inch will burrow and web only what the deem nessacery to survive, once they hit the 3 inch mark all hell breaks loose and they start webbing everything! then as an adult they start doing and acting weirder, by sometimes going arboreal or as i like to call them "arburrower" bcause even if they do go vertical they will still keep a burrow no matter what(from my experiences anyhow)

either way the biggest thing you need to include is size, as suspect the pictures you showed where of smaller juviniles.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OBT Owner: AudreyElizabeth
Time in enclosure: Approx 5 months
Humidity: very low
Approx Temp: 74 F

This enclosure is a plastic shoe box type I got from Wal-Mart. I think the low ceiling encouraged all this webbing, because I've never seen her web this much in the seven years that I have had her. Before she was in a ten gallon tank with a hollow half log for a hide. Now she has a burrow in coconut fiber under a piece of sandstone. I cannot take the lid off completely without destroying her web, so I'm thinking of rehousing her again. I lifted the lid as far as I could for these pics.

Edit- The approx size of the T is about 5 inches, give or take a little. I rarely see her stretched out.

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
owner: cody kerr
SIZE: the ones in the tubs are 3.5 inches and the ones in the micheals cubes are 2.5 inches
humidity: between 40 to 59%(what i keep my room at)
temp:78 degrees F
time in enclosures: the ones in the tubs- 3 weeks to 1 month. the ones in the micheals cubes 4 months to 6 months.

View attachment 81363

View attachment 81364

these are all offspring of my female that passed away. the bigger ones are what i have left from her first sac, the smaller ones are from her second sac(she double clutched)

Last edited:

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great shout cody, in my head i had meant to include that!

Size is important yes! Add it in folks! :D

leoman777

Arachnopeon
owner: cody kerr
SIZE: the ones in the tubs are 3.5 inches and the ones in the micheals cubes are 2.5 inches
humidity: between 40 to 59%(what i keep my room at)
temp:78 degrees F
time in enclosures: the ones in the tubs- 3 weeks to 1 month. the ones in the micheals cubes 4 months to 6 months.

View attachment 81363

View attachment 81364

these are all offspring of my female that passed away. the bigger ones are what i have left from her first sac, the smaller ones are from her second sac(she double clutched)
i like the containers with the blue hinges :) where did you get them?

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about the size of the OBT relative to its enclosure? Just a casual observation, but it looks like smaller enclosures that are easier to web all over are covered whereas larger enclosures are burrowed in to compensate for energy expenditure.

How big are the ones in your first pics, Bryn?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
acully size means very little unless it is just way to much I.E. a 4inch female in a 10 gallon would be too much space.

but Obt's work like this. first they will establish a burrow(no matter wat size) then they will branch out after that eventually covering the entire enclosure.

also size of the enclosure relative to spider ize SHOULD NOT be an issue, as i hope that most owners have common enough sence to select appropriate sized enclosures based on there tarantulas size.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What about the size of the OBT relative to its enclosure? Just a casual observation, but it looks like smaller enclosures that are easier to web all over are covered whereas larger enclosures are burrowed in to compensate for energy expenditure.

How big are the ones in your first pics, Bryn?
Interesting point. I moved my girl from a large enclosure without a lot of web anchors to a small enclosure with close walls and ceilings, providing many web anchors. Looks like the tarantulas in Cody's cubes are making use of the close space as well, especially the second one from the left.
The log that my P. murinus used as a burrow previously was heavily coated with web on the inside. It was crazy thick when I rehoused her.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
acully size means very little unless it is just way to much I.E. a 4inch female in a 10 gallon would be too much space.

but Obt's work like this. first they will establish a burrow(no matter wat size) then they will branch out after that eventually covering the entire enclosure.

also size of the enclosure relative to spider ize SHOULD NOT be an issue, as i hope that most owners have common enough sence to select appropriate sized enclosures based on there tarantulas size.
I completely disagree with you.

I don't have a single OBT that has made a burrow.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
PIG
Med KK, 3" peat, one tree branch on top of peat
Wide range of Temps from 65-90
Put OBT in at about 1.5", now about 3", T has been in KK for about 14 months

I feed her once a week and every time I pop the lid, I have to cut away webbing which extends from the lid web floor. She has 3 web entrances.

PIG-

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I completely disagree with you.

I don't have a single OBT that has made a burrow.
and do they have enough substrate?...also if they dont, they will still make a tube web burrow.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Making a burrow out of web is completely different from making one out of substrate. Of course they will create a web burrow.

Define 'enough substrate'.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok...3 inches or so...i have had tons and tons of OBT's and have yet had one NOT burrow. slings are notorious "pet holes" which is why ive seen threads like "i though OBT's webbed alot and are always out"

also lets see a pic.