Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Calling all OBT owners! We want your enclosure + webbing pictures!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by BrynWilliams, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Advertisement
    No wonder it seemed so fun looking.:wicked:

2. We housed one of our OBT slings strictly terrestrially and this is what it has done:

[​IMG]

Cass

3. My collection

OBT Owner: Draychen aka Steve
    Time in enclosure: varied
    Humidity: [HIGH]
    Approx Temp: [77* F]

MF 5" - Pterrah (1 Day as of the photo)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1.5" - Pterror (2 days)
    [​IMG]

2.5" Female - Tessa (1 month - First one ever to burrow!)
    [​IMG]

2" Male - Tyrant (2 weeks)
    [​IMG]

And the cutest thing I have EVER seen a T do... Pterrah got curious while I was poking around her enclosure to get some nice shots. This is what happened!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 3v15c3r8

3v15c3r8 Arachnopeon

OBT Owner: 3v15c3r8 Aka Joey
    OBT: Tallbane
    Time in enclosure: Approx 1 week
    Humidity: very low
    Approx Temp: 77-80F

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  5. Lsal

Lsal Arachnopeon

Owner: Leon
    Time in enclosure: several weeks
    Humidity: low
    Temperature: 72-76F

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I would dig up this interesting thread. Sorry about my pic quality, the lighting isn't so great in my room. It is a bit dark in there normally.

My OBT sealed the top of his tube web off with dirt last night...is this possible premolt behavior? I'm curious to see if he will be out and about tonight like he normally is.

Leon

6. Here's my happy girl with her slings in a 1/2 gallon rubbermaid square canister.
    [​IMG]

7. BrynWilliams

BrynWilliams Arachnoprince

Been ages since someone last posted in this thread. So here's me reviving it.

Come on guys, keep posting!

8. KoriTamashii

KoriTamashii Arachnobaron

Have a cranky, freshly molted MM in his little... house thing.

[​IMG]

9. k2power

k2power Arachnoknight

NC
    Do they typically stay in their webs/burrows once established when changing water and cage items (not attached to webs). I plan to use a arboreal cage but only include low items to encourage it to stay on the ground. I would love for it to burrow and be content to stay in there when I am messing with the cage like my H. gigas does. That monster is about 7" now and never reared at me or stridulated.

10. My OBT

Here is Samara, my OBT in her enclosure. Picked up the skull thinking she might like it for a hide, and I was right. It suits her disposition well LOL
    She webbed up the leaves I placed in there. She has been in this enclosure for about a week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  11. petlover02

petlover02 Arachnopeon

OBT Owner: Nico
    Time in enclosure: 3 months
    Humidity: Very Low approximately around 45%-55% + water dish
    Approx Temp: 70-80c

Sorry for the video she's a little bit camera shy{D
    [YOUTUBE]vA79pXyf3B0[/YOUTUBE]

Picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. KoriTamashii

KoriTamashii Arachnobaron

OBT Owner: KoriTamashii
    Time in enclosure: 3 Months?
    Humidity: Low
    Approx Temp: 73-77 F

[​IMG]

13. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

here we go... about 1.5 inch obt named Queso in its queso jar home... temp about 75 80 farenheit and humidity around 50 percent its one of my ts thats out ALL THE TIME, but it just drug food into its hole. View attachment 90313

View attachment 90314

14. OBT Owner: John

Time in enclosure: About 5 months - 1 year

Humidity/Temp: whatever the humidity/temperature is outside plus its webbed over water dish.

I keep my Ts in a shed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to buy this set of food containers to put the OBT in one of them or I might just get the big cheese bucket below its nice and wide probably better for mating room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but is there anyway I can prevent it from living directly under the cap?

Probably by putting a piece of PVC piping on the side so it will use that as a hide?

I know the OBT is doing well in the current enclosure but since it prefers the aboreal life I'd like to make the enclosure fit the life style.

15. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Wow, the size of that water dish is comical...the t probably webbed it for safety reasons..lol. That's a diving pool for a t, not a water dish. Also an obt should be kept dry, bone dry, I can't believe how wet most of your sub is. It should all be dry...lucky they are as resilient as they are.

16. My T is, very healthy the water dish has NEVER been an issue and the dampness is on purpose even with the water dish I damp the opposite side every now and then to help the humidity.

The dampness doesn't hurt the T if its not consistent.

;)

17. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

They do not need any help with regards to humidity at all. Here's a bit about the species from "Tarantulas and other Arachnids":

"They are native to drier regions of east Africa and so depend less on moisture...They do best if kept on the dry side.."

Just because it is healthy, doesn't mean there isn't any room for improvement. Why settle when improvements are easy...actually easier than you are currently keeping it. Keeping it dry will also discourage mites and other unwanted pests that are attracted to the moisture, as well as mold and such. The drier you can keep it, the less issues you are opening yourself up to in the future. Just something to think about...do whatever you want. Fact is they are one of the toughest, most resilient species available and are capable of living in just about any circumstance....but if dry is best, easiest and least likely to cause issues, why not embrace that?

18. I've never had issues with any OBT...people on this site give you information as the way they keep their Ts and what works for them....After you've been on here a few years and/or keeping Ts for many years as I have you find out what works for you and what doesn't.

You DON'T have to have to eat word for word what you are fed in life.

everything on here is just experiences/advice not MANDATORY rules.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Oumriel

Oumriel Arachnosquire

True but... when you take an animal that is indigenous to a hot arid desert climate and make it live in a swamp, it just makes a person wonder.

Added:
    The combined knowledge here is from years and years of experience of keeping tarantulas and quite a few of the posters are very knowledgeable on how specific species should be kept for optimum health. The majority of the information here is the benefit of that and not just opinion. Just because the tarantula is resilient and not ailing doesn't mean that the conditions could not be better or more appropriate for the species.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Do you know the definition of a REAL Swamp?

apparently not your exaggeration is unwarranted if you can't prove a point without blowing something out of proportion don't say anything at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.