Calling all OBT owners! We want your enclosure + webbing pictures!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OBT Owner: xhexdx
Time in enclosure: ~5 minutes
Humidity: Medium for now
Approx Temp: 80F
Size: See pictures

Size refereince:

As you can see, the substrate is a layer of topsoil and then a layer of ecoearth. The leaves are suspended for the most part, and there is orchid moss on the opposite side as the leaves. This provides them plenty of options and will probably help to record the variations between individuals.

--Joe

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok joe, in 1 week we need an update. i bet they will have all burrowed;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, let me go take pics of the 20-something 3i slings I have where they have all webbed up the moss that is vertical in their jars. First, I'm going to cook dinner, since it's more important than proving my point.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I would have had these posted sooner but for some reason it wouldnt work.. The is not going to be his life long home.. I am also leaning towards the fact that there might not be enough substrate in here as well... But the rest has to dry out... Anyways here is my OBT he is 3.5 inches in a small KK for 2 weeks...

Front View

Rear View

Top View

Right & Left Rear Angle View

Before anyone says anything I do plan on moving him to something larger than the small KK real soon and adding more substrate..

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ Cody and Joe: I reiterate my post (#11) earlier on in this thread. Perhaps webbing has more to do with enclosure size and setup than is being considered.

What about the size of the OBT relative to its enclosure? Just a casual observation, but it looks like smaller enclosures that are easier to web all over are covered whereas larger enclosures are burrowed in to compensate for energy expenditure.

How big are the ones in your first pics, Bryn?
Interesting point. I moved my girl from a large enclosure without a lot of web anchors to a small enclosure with close walls and ceilings, providing many web anchors. Looks like the tarantulas in Cody's cubes are making use of the close space as well, especially the second one from the left.
The log that my P. murinus used as a burrow previously was heavily coated with web on the inside. It was crazy thick when I rehoused her.
So if your T was the same size during this transfer and its webbing habits changed after the fact, it could imply that the behavior is not necessarily dependent to the life stage of the T, but its surroundings.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
joe, im not saying your wrong or making you prove anything. but in my personal experience (over 200 slings) they have All made burrows. im not saying everyone has to follow the same basic routines or patterns.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@ Cody and Joe: I reiterate my post (#11) earlier on in this thread. Perhaps webbing has more to do with enclosure size and setup than is being considered.

So if your T was the same size during this transfer and its webbing habits changed after the fact, it could imply that the behavior is not necessarily dependent to the life stage of the T, but its surroundings.
Rosie,

I understand what you're saying, and you may be correct. My original intent of this experiment was to observe how multiple specimens will create different 'homes', even in nearly identical conditions. It's merely to point out individuality in species. :)

Your thoughts do bring up a good point though. It would be interesting to take several more specimens, all the same size, and house them all in various-sized enclosures. I may have to do that as well. :D

--Joe

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rosie,

I understand what you're saying, and you may be correct. My original intent of this experiment was to observe how multiple specimens will create different 'homes', even in nearly identical conditions. It's merely to point out individuality in species. :)

Your thoughts do bring up a good point though. It would be interesting to take several more specimens, all the same size, and house them all in various-sized enclosures. I may have to do that as well. :D

--Joe
Shoot, you've got enough test subjects for it. :p

I understand what your intentions are with those individuals pictured, I was just trying to dispel some generalizations that were starting to fly around without listing all the parameters that may be present...

I would be very interested in both experiments, should the second one be carried through :)

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
joe i am mearly going on my experience as a whole. and not stating "every obt is going to do EXACTLY this..im stating majority of them do this..meaning 98% at least. i am willing to bet money if you took an obt sling, put it in an enclosure with substrate and nothing else they will burrow.

also when provided ith stuff like moss they really dont need to burrow because they make dirt, or moss covered tub webs..which is in its own way a form of "burrow"

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I especially like your last post, because I'm going to prove you wrong in about 5 minutes. ;)

What you're trying to tell me then is...that webbing leaves, moss, or any other decor is considered burrowing?

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well joe. all i can say is you have the odd obts. out of literally over 200 ive kept, all burrowed. :?

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My OBT sling is also like Joe's. The thing is almost completely arboreal, creating a pretty large webbing structure at the top, and only extended it to ground to molt.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well joe. all i can say is you have the odd obts. out of literally over 200 ive kept, all burrowed. :?
His don't? That's it! I'm getting my OBT's from Joe. {D You have quite a few OBTs, cody.

What's the white chunks in their substrate, Joe? Don't tell me those are the white things from potting soil, otherwise dang those slings are tiny! Read they were tiny young but seeing is believing.

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep 4 OBT slings (about.. 1/3") and 3 of them have burrowed. One made a tube out of web. This was before I added piece of bark into their enclosures. I just added some bark today so maybe they'll start hanging around the bark instead of down in the cocofibre.