Calling all Hadrurus arizonensis keepers or better yet... experts

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just got my H. ariz. today, hes small, and if he is as young as i suspect, then this threads info will prove very useful... keep it comin!

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what is the ideal night time temp?? maybe if that refigeration idea works, then we should just let the night temps drop a little lower to achieve the same effect... any thoughts...

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am not sure of the exact ideal night temperature, but I think that letting it drop a few degrees or more is a good idea for this particular species. The flux in temp and thus humidity could help with successful molting IMO. Ofcourse, it is not required in adult specimens. Goodluck!

* I am glad this thread has been of some use to certain people. Everything is still going well my end. At this point I have done as much as I can (and know)to try and get another successful molt. Finger's crossed.

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do they really need an actual burrow to molt properly, or will a couple of scrapes suffice?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
asher8282 said:
do they really need an actual burrow to molt properly, or will a couple of scrapes suffice?

you should provide them with enough substrate to burrow. they'll decide which is the better options...
most, though, will burrow

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, he totally has enough sand to burrow in till his heart's content, i was just asking for curiousitys sake...

and yes, coheed rocks! i went to their show the other night in nashville, with the dredged and blood brothers, they totally rocked my face clean off! :D

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
An update...

Beautiful 3rd instar.
Truly like minature adults now.

Not sure how many scorplings I have left, there were three the other day, out and about. However after skimming a black light last night, I found the metasoma of one, so there has been cannibalism.

The mother, as usual, is as healthy and aggressive as ever. Below is a snap after a recent enclosure swap. Currently she has been swapped once again, after the substrate failed to bond properly for burrowing, and has dug herself a good burrow and closed herself in. Again, I have a lucky window where she has burrowed to, so I am going to keep a close eye on her. Can this species produce multiple broods? :?

Does she look fat to you? Or perhaps gravid?

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just sat here and read this whole thread, you have kept immaculate records and shared them with all of us, I honestly think this thread will help many people in their quest with this amazing scorp. Granted I dont have H.A. but I do have a spadix and hope to breed her sometime soon and I think this thread holds very valuable information.

Thank you!

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Many thanks, I am glad this thread has been of use to several fellow keepers. Going on the thread "views" it has been a big hit, which is cool.

Last night three of the 3rd instars were out and about. They have been feeding well and now are all nice and "plump".

I'll keep you all informed as to how the next CRUCIAL molt goes... finger's crossed... :eek:

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
3rd instar feeding on a hopper.

These guys are now REALLY fast.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Parabuthus,

Bro, you've done one helluva job of raising these beauties. And, thank you for keeping up the informative posts as i've now found spermats in the enclosures of 3 pairs of H. spadix (seems a very easy and straight-forward species to mate) and hopefully some of the info you've posted here will give me a jumping-off point in getting any future spadix to I3! Awesome job!!!

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heya Rich,

Awesome job with those "kids". Remarkable photos as well. Do keep us posted on any and all events regarding your group.

Best wishes and good luck!
Luc

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

are you still raising them communally? Would be interesting to know how many got lost due to cannibalism yet.

Regards
Alex