Calling All Aquariists

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Greetings, I am considering venturing into the realm of tropical fish keeping. Does anyone have any suggestions on forums such as AB in that realm. I’ve found a couple that look promising, but trust the judgment of many of you here due to your zeal and caring for your arachnids. Any advice would be appreciated. FYI, aside from having a couple goldfish in bowls about 50 years ago, I’m a completely blank slate fish-wise.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I likewise am looking for a good freshwater aquarium forum...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
O.K, O.K, that was...actually pretty funny.

I'll look around and get back to you if someone else doesn't first.

I believe @mantisfan101, @Feral, and @l4nsky keep/have kept freshwater fish, so they might be able to point you in the direction of a good forum as well.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +

I believe @mantisfan101, @Feral, and @l4nsky keep/have kept freshwater fish, so they might be able to point you in the direction of a good forum as well.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thank you very much.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Fishlore for all aspects of fishkeeping, monsterfishkeepers for monster fish, bettafish.com for breeding bettas, apistogramma.com for apistogrammas. What type of fish do you want to keep? I can give you a whole list of tanks, setups, comptaible fish, etc.

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
Fishlore for all aspects of fishkeeping, monsterfishkeepers for monster fish, bettafish.com for breeding bettas, apistogramma.com for apistogrammas. What type of fish do you want to keep? I can give you a whole list of tanks, setups, comptaible fish, etc.
Thank you. I visited Fishlore, and it actually seemed to be somewhat limited, but I only perused. However, I shall take another look at your advice. I was very impressed with Aquarium Advice and Tropical Fish Forums. What do you think of those? I have not decided on types yet, but am leaning toward the prevalently presented beginners like, tetras, etc.. I do find bettas very cool, but I know that’s a different set up completely. If you don’t mind, I’ll PM you on the equipment suggestions.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Hola,

Not sure I can be of much help here. I've kept aquariums for the vast majority of my life, but the boards I used to frequent were all geared towards predatory fish and have since ceased to exist (specifically predatoryfishkeepers.com and aquaticpredators.com where I was a global mod) and I dont know of any boards geared towards more general fish keeping to recommend. I still peruse MFK as I'd really like to get back into the deep end of the hobby, but space is an issue at the moment. Best of luck on your search.

Thanks,
--Matt

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There are millions of options... As I found out recently when deciding to rehome my axolotl and sell most of my spiders.
I'm prepairing for a couple of Malawi cichlids now :)
How much space do you have for an aquarium? Of you want to keep tropical fish, the smalles tank you could comfortably get away with is a 100 litre tank. Anything smaller is for shrimp or snails.
I have a 180 litre tank and will be housing Iodotropheus sprengerae, P.socolofi and L.caeruleus in it, each species in 1m/3f set up.

What biotope are you interested in, could be the next question. Do you want a planted tank? Big fish, or smaller fish, loners or schooling fish?
Type in 'starter fish' in youtube and enjoy!

I've chosen the malawi biotope because the set up is pretty basic, lots of rock and two or three plants, sand bottom and you're done! The fishes are the main object in the tank really. :)

noobscaper

Arachnopeon
5 years' fishkeeper and no-spider noob here.
This. Fishlore is a great forum, and the people there usually answer your questions quickly. If you want to get into planted tanks (trust me, you will), I would recommend the UKAPS (tried and tested, ukaps.org), and The Planted Tank Forum (I don't know this one).

EBaker

Arachnopeon
Greetings, I am considering venturing into the realm of tropical fish keeping. Does anyone have any suggestions on forums such as AB in that realm. I’ve found a couple that look promising, but trust the judgment of many of you here due to your zeal and caring for your arachnids. Any advice would be appreciated. FYI, aside from having a couple goldfish in bowls about 50 years ago, I’m a completely blank slate fish-wise.
I’m into African cichlids myself, they come in many shapes and colors, have fascinating social structures and for the most part are easy to care for. Malawi mbuna have some of my all time favorite species, however my passion is for Tropheus. Cichlid Forum was always a good place for info...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I’m into African cichlids myself, they come in many shapes and colors, have fascinating social structures and for the most part are easy to care for. Malawi mbuna have some of my all time favorite species, however my passion is for Tropheus. Cichlid Forum was always a good place for info...
Can confirm Cichlid Forum. It seems the operator is single handedly helping tens of people every day and never gets tired of answering the same questions.