California Millipede

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Didn't know where to post this! Went out "hunting" this weekend, my son picked up just ONE California Millipede, 4". Didn't wash his hands and woke up the next day with these wounds. (The wart has been there, not a result of the millie!) We notice whenever we pick them up, they release an iodine colored fluid.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
There is absolutely NO PAIN! Just the red discoloration.

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your lucky though, there are some that cause horrible rash and such. I thought they hurt too hehe. It will wear off with time, totally gone in a few days I believe. For me I just scrub them off with a sponge right away.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
His usually clear up in a week or so... probably because he's 12 and doesn't wash his hands much!:D

(LOVE Oakland, I was born in Alameda!!!)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Didn't know where to post this! Went out "hunting" this weekend, my son picked up just ONE California Millipede, 4". Didn't wash his hands and woke up the next day with these wounds. (The wart has been there, not a result of the millie!) We notice whenever we pick them up, they release an iodine colored fluid.
I think they release hydrogen cyanide that burns the top tissue layer and looks like it stains your fingers. The "burn" isn't painful unless its in your mouth or eyes. Many people think the fluid is iodine, but its not. Your guess was closer than most people's guess :)