Calcium Dusting?

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know its pretty simple, but does anyone have any methods they use to dust crickets?
I've been spraying the crix with a tiny bit of water and then dusting them in a separate container for them to sit in for awhile to accumulate the dust, then dropping them into my gecko's tank.

Any pointers from experience would be appreciated though!

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive done it several ways over the years. But this is my favourite way. I place a sparing amount of dust in the bottom of a cup of suitable size for the crickets you are feeding. Add crickets and then swirl the cup in circles to cover the crickets in dust. Then I dump the crickets out into a second cup to leave any remaining dust in the original cup. Then just transfer to your cage for feeding.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow you guys do it the long ways, I just take a ziplock back with a crap load of crickets I plan feeding with. Sprinkle in some powder, close the bag and sake. Then I dig the crickets out by hand and toss them to their deaths. This method coats them perfectly in calcium, well at least for me it does.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup i put a spareijng amount in a little zippy bag chuck about 10 crix in or waxworms then shake the bag, they get covered when i pic em out n chuck em in the toads/geckos tank......{D

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to use the ziploc bag method for years. But the cup method is much easier and much quicker. You don' have to stick your hands in to grab the crickets. You just dump them in from the cup.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the "shake and bake" method myself (The baggie one)

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i used to put them in a jam jar but when i went to tip en in the got caught on the rim !!!!{D

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to use the ziploc bag method for years. But the cup method is much easier and much quicker. You don' have to stick your hands in to grab the crickets. You just dump them in from the cup.
What's the matter, afraid to touch the crickets? Just playing, seriously though when I fill a zip lock bag it's got a good 40 or so crickets so I don't have time to dip them in little cups.

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use a 1/2 gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off. Dump the crickets or whatever in there (I use roaches), add dust then dump what you need into each tank. The one problem that I have encountered with this method is that you need to make sure that the lid (which is now on the bottom) is screwed on tight. I had the lid pop of one time and had a bunch of roaches running around on the floor. My wife was not happy at all.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From the looks of it "Shake & Bake" is the best method to use. I avoid the roaches just cause I hate those things, only bug I won't touch. That's saying alot since I've held just about every deadly/nasty "bug" I can get my hands on.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use the cup also, and I don't think it's a matter of "scared to touch the crickets" as it is "the more you touch them before they get into the tank, the less calcium remains on them".

I use one of those measured 'protein shake' cups cuz it has a snug lid and it was available at the time of need. :D

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol, no Im not afraid to touch the crickets. I think crickets are cool!

I agree that touching the crickets after they are dusted will remove some of the dusting, but thats not the only reason for using the cup method. Its just simply easier than a ziploc bag.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have any animals that require this but if I did I think I would go get one of those powdered sugar shakers...the metal ones, like the kind they use to flavor fried dough. That along with misting the crickets a tad before hand. You could also try to find a sugar sifter at the dollar store.. although theres nothing really to sift it has that mechanical device that only allows the power out when you press the button. Plus then you could reuse the powder just using the sifter to get the legs and wings that I assume may fall off in the commotion of being engulfed in power... LOL :)

Ed

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think crickets are cool!
LOL same here, I have a 20 gal with around 500 crickets at any given time. I'll often just sit there and watch what they do, and how they interact with each other. I can't claim to be a T expert, or a Leo know it all, or a snake master but there is one thing I do know and it's crickets. They're amazing little things that most exotic owners tend to forget about. Isn't it in China or Japan crickets are good luck and often kept as pets?

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't have any animals that require this but if I did I think I would go get one of those powdered sugar shakers...the metal ones, like the kind they use to flavor fried dough. That along with misting the crickets a tad before hand. You could also try to find a sugar sifter at the dollar store.. although theres nothing really to sift it has that mechanical device that only allows the power out when you press the button. Plus then you could reuse the powder just using the sifter to get the legs and wings that I assume may fall off in the commotion of being engulfed in power... LOL :)

Ed

That sounds like a waste of time and money.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would almost guarentee that you could get one for a dollar... if you need I will paypal you it. ;) Whatever works though, the user was looking for ideas.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know its pretty simple, but does anyone have any methods they use to dust crickets?
I've been spraying the crix with a tiny bit of water and then dusting them in a separate container for them to sit in for awhile to accumulate the dust, then dropping them into my gecko's tank.

Any pointers from experience would be appreciated though!
sounds like youve got a good method. i bought a cricket duster at PetSmart