calcium dust on crickets, is it safe for T's

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got a Bearded Dragon, and will need to dust the crickets. What I wanted to know is: would it be safe for my Ts and scorpions to eat dusted Crickets? Or do I need to have separate feeders for the BD and the Arachnids?

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it is what I'm thinking of I use the same stuff for my pacman frog. I just dust some of it onto the feeders right before giving them to the frog and then he eats those feeders. I give non-dusted to all my inverts as there is a debate on excess calcium leading to bad molts / ruptures over time though nothing is confirmed and it is all speculation. I don't dust my invert feeders and wouldn't recommend it but if you feel the need to most people will probably say don't or do it at your own risk.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay... so that's a big no to dusting them while they're still in the bag. Just wanted to double check on that. Thank you!!!

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can just feed the crickets regularly and your Tarantulas won't mind. Tarantulas and Reptiles are completely different. I came into this hobby thinking they were somewhat similar, they are nothing alike.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can just feed the crickets regularly and your Tarantulas won't mind. Tarantulas and Reptiles are completely different. I came into this hobby thinking they were somewhat similar, they are nothing alike.
I'm referring to 'dusting' the crickets with 'Fluker's Calcium with Vitamin D3'.
If as mentioned there is a chance of issues with molting due to increase of calcium, then I'll simply dust them right before feeding instead while they are still in the store bag as suggested by the pet store.

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard the same stories that Treynok is referring to and choose to not dust any feeder insect that is destined for our inverts.

Arachnobored

Arachnopeon
I disagree with my learned colleagues from the West...

A tarantula does not lick the bodies of it's victims at any point, so unless some calcium dust blows into it's eye, it will have no effect on the arachnid. (A small eye-bath will help with the latter) ;)

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I disagree with my learned colleagues from the West...

A tarantula does not lick the bodies of it's victims at any point, so unless some calcium dust blows into it's eye, it will have no effect on the arachnid. (A small eye-bath will help with the latter) ;)
Yes, but it still ingests the dust along with the cricket.

jimip

Arachnosquire
your best bet is to gut load. but i thought scorpions needed calcium but cant have d3?

Arachnobored

Arachnopeon
Yes, but it still ingests the dust along with the cricket.

In what quantities? 9 microns? Ten?

How exactly does the spider manage this, and do you have any papers to back up this theory?

The spider pre-digests the prey and then ingests the resultant mulch. Any calcium powder entering his/her tiny mouth would be microscopic and totally harmless as suggested by anecdotal evidence.

Let's not get side-tracked by voodoo and urban legends. There are no papers on this subject, so it's a matter of conjecture, and you must decide for yourself, but logically....there's no realistic chance of your tarantula having a calium related moulting problem as a result of a dusted cricket. :D

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In what quantities? 9 microns? Ten?

How exactly does the spider manage this, and do you have any papers to back up this theory?

The spider pre-digests the prey and then ingests the resultant mulch. Any calcium powder entering his/her tiny mouth would be microscopic and totally harmless as suggested by anecdotal evidence.

Let's not get side-tracked by voodoo and urban legends. There are no papers on this subject, so it's a matter of conjecture, and you must decide for yourself, but logically....there's no realistic chance of your tarantula having a calium related moulting problem as a result of a dusted cricket. :D
Other than microns being a measurement of length rather than volume, you're right on the money. There are lots of pseudoscientific "rules" regarding the keeping of tarantulas that do not hold up well under critical examination. This may be one of them. I'd like to see actual studies on the topic before I'd fully accept it.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm referring to 'dusting' the crickets with 'Fluker's Calcium with Vitamin D3'.
If as mentioned there is a chance of issues with molting due to increase of calcium, then I'll simply dust them right before feeding instead while they are still in the store bag as suggested by the pet store.
Yeah I understand that, you apparently misread my post. I stated that there is no reason to dust them. No one has proven it harmful, but if you don't dust the crickets they will live just as long as they would with the dust. (Unless it does turn out that the calcium causes molting issues.) My point is there is just no need for it in my opinion.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't. As stated above, they don't need it. There's no proof that calcium does harm to tarantulas but neither is there proof that it doesn't.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Until there is actual bonified evidence that supports the facts that calcium dust either harms/benefits a Tarantula, I will be sticking with non-dusting and minimal calcium. Although there may not be a concrete study that states it, its generally a past practice of many keepers to not use high quantities of calcium.

Some keepers have had Tarantulas live for 20+ years without using calcium, so I will just stick with the tried and proven.

To each, it's own.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Until there is actual bonified evidence that supports the facts that calcium dust either harms/benefits a Tarantula, I will be sticking with non-dusting and minimal calcium. Although there may not be a concrete study that states it, its generally a past practice of many keepers to not use high quantities of calcium.

Some keepers have had Tarantulas live for 20+ years without using calcium, so I will just stick with the tried and proven.

To each, it's own.
The only reason I wanted to dust is for my Bearded Dragon... not the T's... just wanted to know if it was okay or not to dust while in the store bag, which I've decided I'll only dust the crickets right before feeding the Bearded Dragon and not the whole batch... I buy a lot of crickets.... lol so, just wanted to know..

thanks for all the help!

jimip

Arachnosquire
just dump some out then dust the rest in the bag. then everyones covered. ohh and injoy the beardie there wonderful

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The only reason I wanted to dust is for my Bearded Dragon... not the T's... just wanted to know if it was okay or not to dust while in the store bag, which I've decided I'll only dust the crickets right before feeding the Bearded Dragon and not the whole batch... I buy a lot of crickets.... lol so, just wanted to know..

thanks for all the help!
I love beardies {D Blood Red German Giants are my fav !!