Calcium Bentonite safe for DIY desert substrate?

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
I put my desert species scorps on a mix of desert sand and coco fiber, however, my Leiurus quinquestriatus loves to burrow more so than all the others. So much so that ALL of the substrate has been pushed to one side with sand spilling out of the air vents and all over my shelves, every single night. My concern was the couple small rocks I put in as a hide, I don't want it the sand hill the scorpion created to collapse and bury it since its a bit loose.

Ive seen excavator clay, but I don't want to buy a huge bag since all my scorps are still juveniles. I was doing some reading here of people making their own excavator substrate with clay. I have 100% calcium bentonite clay that are used for face masks. People on here said to use bentonite and I figured this was safe since its used for humans, but just want to double check. I read on here that keeping scorps on calcium sand was bad (sticks to the scorpions), so I can't tell if the calcium in the bentonite will have a similar effect.

If it can work, what is a good ratio of water, clay and sand, I'm seeing conflicting things.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Calcium bentonite is pretty much just cat litter. Any smaller dust/powder will stick to them because of the polarity I believe. If people are saying that it is ok here then it likely is. A word of advice though. Find a local clay slinging shop. They will more than likely have bulk materials for the same price as you get for ounces. Always support your local petshop, but the clay/clave people need business too. I mean, those bags of red art clay, calcium carb, and bentonite won't go bad for like a few hundred years. So, why not bulk?

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
Calcium bentonite is pretty much just cat litter. Any smaller dust/powder will stick to them because of the polarity I believe. If people are saying that it is ok here then it likely is. A word of advice though. Find a local clay slinging shop. They will more than likely have bulk materials for the same price as you get for ounces. Always support your local petshop, but the clay/clave people need business too. I mean, those bags of red art clay, calcium carb, and bentonite won't go bad for like a few hundred years. So, why not bulk?
you're right but I was just hoping it will work for convince sake since I'm making at most a few cups of substrate. I'm also not planning on having more scorps in the future so having bulk amounts of clay laying around the house didn't seem beneficial, but anything for them first

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
you're right but I was just hoping it will work for convince sake since I'm making at most a few cups of substrate. I'm also not planning on having more scorps in the future so having bulk amounts of clay laying around the house didn't seem beneficial, but anything for them first
I get it. Ya, budget it out. If it is fiscally irresponsible then scrap it. Be sure to buy from struggling pet stores first if you can though.