Caging 1 inch spiderlings

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all, i am getting a 1 inch g.pulchra on tuesday and i do not know how to house it. Should i put it in the smallest critter keeper available? 6"X3X4 or so (lwh) or should i just use a deli cup? Do i let it burrow? What is the best to feed it?

Any help appreciated as im new to the species and care of spiderlings, thanks!

Mark

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
The two T's I have that size are still in vials, though I did move my versicolor into one I had ventilated more.

As for eating, my 3/4" versi can make 1/4" crickets dissapear in a matter of an hour or so. The 1.5" poke I have tends to destroy them pretty quick too. I believe the rule of thumb is to feed insects that are no bigger than the length of the carapace and abdomen combined, though I know they CAN take larger ones sometimes.

For a ground T, at that size you could probably put it into the smaller kritter keeper if you wanted too, but you would have to pile up substrate to keep it from falling too far if it climbs. Just be sure you double check the size of the ventilation slits on it as they compare to the T.

Bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
What I've done with my slings, is buy small tupperware type thingys. Using just the tip of my soldering iron, I made ventilation holes in the top. I've always had trouble with the vials. Its a fine balance indeed, when you're trying to keep the babies in, while getting the pins in.

Peace,
Gillian

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Should i let it burrow? because later on when shes larger i dont plan to let her burrow i will provide a hide for her instead

Mark

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had great success using babyfood jars for all my spiders under 1.5 inches. Then I move them up to Deli cups until they reach 3 inches... then they get a small critter keeper or a rubbermaid container.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had no problems using the re-usable Ziploc containers for my terrestrials and burrowers of that size or a little larger.. They're inexpensive and easy to clean. They also came in a good variety of shapes and sizes. Any grocery store should have them.

Atrax

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
I have had no problems using the re-usable Ziploc containers for my terrestrials and burrowers of that size or a little larger.. They're inexpensive and easy to clean. They also came in a good variety of shapes and sizes. Any grocery store should have them.

Atrax
I have tried the ziplock containers too... what I didnt like about them is that the lids are not very flexible at all. This means you cant bend just a small portion of the lid back to put in a cricket... I had a lot of escapes and close calls during feeding with these containers.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm willing to bet it won't even try to burrow. I realize they aren't the same thing, but my G. Rosea has hides and enough dirt to burrow, but it just sits on the surface, perfectly happy not using the hide.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Should i let it burrow? because later on when shes larger i dont plan to let her burrow i will provide a hide for her instead
You should let smaller slings burrow if they want - it will keep their stress down and they're better at choosing the environment they want. That said, I've got 3 small pulchra slings and none have shown any inclination to burrow.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine didnt burrow... it just dug a slight ditch for itself and it sits in there.

I presume eventually that ditch will become a burrow though... probably when it gets bigger.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
Hi all, i am getting a 1 inch g.pulchra on tuesday and i do not know how to house it. Should i put it in the smallest critter keeper available? 6"X3X4 or so (lwh) or should i just use a deli cup? Do i let it burrow? What is the best to feed it?

Any help appreciated as im new to the species and care of spiderlings, thanks!

Mark
I think the smallest critter keepers work for slings of that size. I would put some kind of hide above the substrate that it can go into or under, which is not heavy, since if it burrows you don't want the hide to fall on top of the sling. You might look in a hardware store for some small PVC thing to use. I use a vinyl chair tip. Also, in my experience, your sling will have no trouble with small crickets up to 3/4".

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/attachment.php?s=&postid=10761

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of the things to watch out for with kritter keepers and slings is the slot in the lid where the handle fits. It is a larger slot than those for the ventilation and depending on the size of your sling, that may be an avenue of escape.

Botar

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks alot everyone, I think ive got a pretty good idea what im going to set up. I bought a critter keeper type thing that is 6X3X4 inches and should work nicely. I'll fill it half way with quality potting soil and maybe a bit of vermiculite, packed down fairly tightly. Ill use a bottlecap as a water dish and i dont know what i will use for a hide yet, ill have to see the exact size of the spider!

Mark

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
One of the things to watch out for with kritter keepers and slings is the slot in the lid where the handle fits. It is a larger slot than those for the ventilation and depending on the size of your sling, that may be an avenue of escape.

Botar
I have a number of minis with plastic mesh hotglued over these holes just for that reason.