Cages aka I need alot of opinions!

Sobrino

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok i was wondering....when you guys get a cage for one of your reptiles or T's, what do u look for in it? i design some cages and im planning to put them on sale...all i need to know is what do you look for so i can make my cages more effecient and know that im going to have different types of cages that are going to fall into place with different peoples opinions. You would be doing a good cause {D lol...thank you i really appreciate it.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The most important things I look for are:

Cost
Size
Stackability (usually requires air holes on the sides)
Clearness of materials (I like to see my t's)

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree with the size, clarity and stack ability for my T's

for my reptiles...i like the sliding fronts!

jwmeeker

Arachnopeon
I think that there is nothing more nice than a display cage that can be considered part of your living room set. Solid oak with sliding glass front for the reptiles. Inside waterproofed with something along the lines of fiberglass or urethane.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love cages with sliding tops, so that a snake cannot nudge its way out. However, the cages I've gotten from pet stores, the latch that keeps them closed doesn't seem too strong. So a sliding lid with an easy to use yet sturdy latch is most desirable in my mind. They should also be slightly raised from the surface they're sitting on, so a heating pad can be used if necessary without it sitting directly on the surface.

Also! Different snakes have different requirements as far as length/height. So options other than fish tank sizes would be great! Tanks that have ample width as well as lenght, while having a bit less height, are good for certain reptiles, while some require a very tall tank.

I know a lot of Ts that are ground dwelling shouldn't have too much height to their tank, so perhaps a tank with lower sides would be a good idea so one doesn't have to put in over a foot of substrate so the T wont have so far to fall from the top. Take a look at the enclosure picture thread to see what other people have made for their arboreal tarantulas, a thin tall tank would be very desirable to many people!

And a large, lightweight as possible tank for adult ball pythons would be great. I can't find anything larger than a 40 gallon breeder tank at any pet stores, and will be building something myself this summer with my boyfriend. Having large size options available would be great, since so many people keep adult snakes in inadequately sized cages.

Sobrino

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love cages with sliding tops, so that a snake cannot nudge its way out. However, the cages I've gotten from pet stores, the latch that keeps them closed doesn't seem too strong. So a sliding lid with an easy to use yet sturdy latch is most desirable in my mind. They should also be slightly raised from the surface they're sitting on, so a heating pad can be used if necessary without it sitting directly on the surface.

Also! Different snakes have different requirements as far as length/height. So options other than fish tank sizes would be great! Tanks that have ample width as well as lenght, while having a bit less height, are good for certain reptiles, while some require a very tall tank.

I know a lot of Ts that are ground dwelling shouldn't have too much height to their tank, so perhaps a tank with lower sides would be a good idea so one doesn't have to put in over a foot of substrate so the T wont have so far to fall from the top. Take a look at the enclosure picture thread to see what other people have made for their arboreal tarantulas, a thin tall tank would be very desirable to many people!

And a large, lightweight as possible tank for adult ball pythons would be great. I can't find anything larger than a 40 gallon breeder tank at any pet stores, and will be building something myself this summer with my boyfriend. Having large size options available would be great, since so many people keep adult snakes in inadequately sized cages.

great idea...ummm..in the middle you mentioned a enclosure picture thread...can some1 leave me a link cuz i cnt find it lol

Scag

Arachnopeon

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that there is nothing more nice than a display cage that can be considered part of your living room set. Solid oak with sliding glass front for the reptiles. Inside waterproofed with something along the lines of fiberglass or urethane.
I COULDNT AGREE MORE!!!

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep hot snakes and it is so difficult to find a nice looking cage that is safe and has a hide box that you can lock the snake in...those are some thigs i know i would want. Or the ability to partition the cage to clean one side at a time

jwmeeker

Arachnopeon
Great question. I would consider this a "nice" display cage. This cage is solid oak and with windows that "pop" out in the front and screens that "pop" out on the sides. The sliding glass front would be a must for any large snake that would have the ability to push open the glass. The cage has the stackability that was previously mentioned as it actually consists of three small cages. The bottom one has the solid front and is used for storage. Insides are coated with fiberglass so I can dump water in it and keep humidity high without the oak warping. Each cage measures 6' X 24" X 24". I currently house a trio of ackies in the top and some dart frogs in the middle.

Last edited:

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For my frogs I like something with quick access on multiple sides, that open independantly. Removeable tops, doors on at least one side, and a place for wires and tubing to come out that is easy to access. Think cord plugins being able to come in and out, but cinching down on the wire so that the animals dont escape.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it depends on the animals for me. Ts are simple = KKs. Unless they are a display T, my Cyriopagopus sp "Blue" is going to go into an Exoterra when its full grown.

My king and corn snakes are in large aquariums setup for them, with modifications for proper humidity.

My boa right now is in a large aquarium, but that is only until its boaphile I order arrives.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm gonna have to agree with what everybody's saying, but there doesn't seem to be enough tanks out there for burrowing species of T's. If your lucky you come across the aborial tanks but I just want a tank with a lid on the top that lifts off with a little bit of ground room, but a whole lotta height to fill up with dirt.

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the Borrowing T's That I have here @ my place, Nothing seems to work better than the "Bow Box" That Sterilite makes...They only cost about 8 bucks at walmart and it doesnt seem to hinder any of my T's at all...For quick and easy housing, Sterlite tubs seem to work just fine for me...

As for a NICE display cage, I'll stick with the oppinions of everyone else, Clarity and Visability of the T's that I keep would be what I most want...Kinda wished someone would make up a TALL clear Acrylic/Glass/Plexi-glass enclosure...something being about 16"x16"x36" Would be kinda cool to see as a Burrowing T enclosure....PROJECT TIME!!