Cage help

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Once I soaked a really cool peice of wood in a weak bleach solution, and my ball python still wound up with mites. Since then I throw everything in the oven. The only problem is that it can be difficult fitting in larger logs or branches into it. ~ Rex

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How you guys feel about eco-earth? Good? yes? no? I like it, and plan to use it in my new enclosers.
The only thing I don't like about it is having to dry it out after you expand it, it took me ages to get mine dry. Other than that, my little G.aureo seems to like it fine, and that's the important thing. :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nobody has mentioned a microwave as an appropriate sterilizing method. Seems to me that any buggies or bacteria would die under the unstoppable force of the mighty microwave.

I do bowls of dirt for 5 minutes each. Any dry non-mineral items like wood get the nuker treatment also. I boil rocks for about 1 hour after scrubbing the bejeezus outta them. Using this method i have yet to get any mold or mites.

B

babylon5girl

I like eco-earth also. And when It comes to rocks and wood I also use a ten% bleach mix and then nuke it in the microwave after it dries. Then I let it sit out for a couple of days then I throw it in, that's mostly because I'm lazy and forget things:eek:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once I soaked a really cool peice of wood in a weak bleach solution, and my ball python still wound up with mites. Since then I throw everything in the oven. The only problem is that it can be difficult fitting in larger logs or branches into it. ~ Rex
Are you sure it was from the wood. Snake mites usually come from bad feeders.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eco earth/bed a beast is what I use. I've never been able to find pesticide and fertilizer free peat moss. Plus, I have the feeling some companies use entomoparasitic nematodes to control bad bugs in the peat.

And...yeah, that's a 10% household bleach solution I use. I don't even want to know what would happen to the world if I got my grubby little paws on anything stronger ;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
hmmm i suppose that means nothing at all. actually the vivarium isnt necessary... hmm I dont think thats a true statement. At least if by blind you mean sightless. Jumping spiders have excellent sight, and others do too. Also even the ones that dont use sight so mch still are not blind, taranutlas arent. They dont see real well but they arent blind... well i guess some may be blind, but some humans are too. Then again many sighted humans are blind... but thats a differant subject lol
LOL, one of my G. rosea has an artificial vine-like plant with flowers on it to hide under. She got bored with it I guess, because after a year, she just started yanking off the flowers and depositing them around her enclosure!! They don't just pull off either, it takes a bit of tugging to remove them!!!

I use plain old potting soil and have had complete success with it. I also have tons o' Ts and it's the most inexpensive substrate too!! ;)

I like to provide a little something for them to explore in/around, so I usually include and artificial and easily washed plant. They do definitely use other senses than their sight to explore their surroundings, and plain ole dirt is just BORING!!