Cactus soil mix- what is the verdict?

Zoghbi

Arachnopeon
I am thinking of trying a cactus soil mix for a substrate. What is the general consensus concerning the use of this substrate with arid species? The mix contains perlite as opposed to vermiculite. Any problem there? Oh, and what the heck is a "non-ionic wetting agent"? All other ingredients are apparently arachno approved. Thanks to any who can help! -Z

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am pretty new to Ts, got my first one in December (Avic Avic). i use Eco Earth, the bricks are cheap and its good stuff. You can find it in any pet store. But i dont see why you couldnt use catus soil mix.

Zoghbi

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

Yes, perlite as an ingredient pricked my ears a bit. I'm not sure what or where i've read about it that drew my attention. Now if only I could put a finger on the non-ionic wetting agent. It sounds like something that would have come in handy when my boys were little.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
yes, perlite will kill them. Just use Eco-earth.
How do you figure? Perlite aids in the aeration and water retention of soil and holds no dangerous chemical compounds. It also has a PH balance of 7 (neutral). At worst it could possibly make soil less compacted thus unstable in the use of burrow construction.

bootdsc

Arachnopeon
perlite

Perlite is expanded glass, put some in your hand and crush is up you'll figure out why its not acceptable substrate(please don't really do that its like getting into fiber glass)

Now vermiculite makes an alright sub just make sure to pack it down or the T's seem to have trouble walking on it. Dead crickets plus damp eco earth = unwanted pests. just my 2 cents