C. vitattus help!

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
My C. vitattus, I just noticed last night, was semi laying on its side in it's enclosure, I opened the lid to see if it would move, well... kinda sorta. It drags the back 2 lags on its left side and the legs on the other side are really jerky... similar to what you would see with DKS in a tarantula. I went to check on it this morning and it was hanging on the underside of a fake leaf with its tail propping it up on the substrate....it was hanging by 1 leg. I moved it to the substrate and removed the leaf in case it were to fall. I dunno what to do at this point. It used to eat for me about twice a week and then it got fat and stopped so I figured it was gonna molt for me but it has yet to do so. I can post pix if needed and I can try to get a video as well.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
pics always help. also what are the heat and humidity at, and do you know the age of the scorpion?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
pics always help. also what are the heat and humidity at, and do you know the age of the scorpion?
The sub stays a bit moist. it's kept on coco fiber and the room is set between 70-74 degrees F. No idea of the age. I bought it from a kid who was scared of it. I just took some pix and a video I'll post them in a sec. My mistake on the side that it was dragging the legs. It's the right side that drag.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Here's the video. Pics really don't show the issue. It's a straw in the video, in case anyone was wondering.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Possibly aging out... =/ his right legs looks completely out poor little guy. Unless it's am internal problem. I don't know that this is something anyone can heal

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Possibly aging out... =/ his right legs looks completely out poor little guy. Unless it's am internal problem. I don't know that this is something anyone can heal
At first I thought maybe a parasite of some sort...but no one else in my collection has anything wrong with them. To be honest I'm pretty bummed cause that was my little mystery scorpion (can't trust anything ya get from backwater reptiles)..the kid I bought it from said was a desert hairy scorpion (obviously it wasn't) but this little guy has been so fun to have. I don't want it to suffer like this, so should I put it in the freezer or wait for someone else to chime in their thoughts? @pannaking22 @Collin Clary what do you all think?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
he does appear to have no use of his right legs. he could just have some temporary issue or he could be in old age. i would give him a week to see if his condition changes. either way really sorry this has happened hope he pulls through :(

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Assist feed him. Let em keep on. Looks like he still has some fight in him. Who knows he could live long and handicapped. I'm assuming it's already matured which might be good. A molt he might not make it through. See what the other guys think. I've personally never delt with this

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Assist feed him. Let em keep on. Looks like he still has some fight in him. Who knows he could live long and handicapped. I'm assuming it's already matured which might be good. A molt he might not make it through. See what the other guys think. I've personally never delt with this
Honestly not sure how big these guys get. This one has not molted in my care. I can pre kill some of the roaches to make it easier for him to get food. He's just not showed any interest in food the past couple weeks now, so I just chalked it up as premolt then this happened last night. It's able to scoot itself around cause I just went in to check on it and it moved itself up against the side of the deli cup. I'm all for others' opinions too cause this is totally new for me to witness.

Last edited:

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately that scorpion went downhill since I originally posted. The whole right side was no longer able to function so instead of letting it suffer I did put it in the freezer. Sad day for sure but in the end it's no longer suffering. Thanks to all who posted for trying to shed some insight and help.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately that scorpion went downhill since I originally posted. The whole right side was no longer able to function so instead of letting it suffer I did put it in the freezer. Sad day for sure but in the end it's no longer suffering. Thanks to all who posted for trying to shed some insight and help.
Aw, I am sorry about your scorpion! I have been keeping these guys for about 2 years now, I have 17 of them around right now. They are interesting and spunky little creatures! Your scorpion, to me, looked like a full grown female, so her time was likely just up. You did the right thing by not letting her suffer!

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Aw, I am sorry about your scorpion! I have been keeping these guys for about 2 years now, I have 17 of them around right now. They are interesting and spunky little creatures! Your scorpion, to me, looked like a full grown female, so her time was likely just up. You did the right thing by not letting her suffer!
I plan on getting more in the future as this one was really fun to have and watch.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I plan on getting more in the future as this one was really fun to have and watch.
If you are looking to get some replacements let me know! I have an adorable little C. vitattus scorpling I've been keeping for about 5 months that needs a forever home. Along with some adults.

Its a little cutie. :D

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss :(. I've been dealing with this species my whole life as i live in an area where they are very common and frequently make their ways in my house lol.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
If you are looking to get some replacements let me know! I have an adorable little C. vitattus scorpling I've been keeping for about 5 months that needs a forever home. Along with some adults.

Its a little cutie. :D

I would love a replacement but I can't right now. An unexpected bill popped up this morning so it'll have to wait till I get that taken care of in full) Thanks for the offer but I'll keep you in mind for sure ^_^

Thanks everyone for the kind words.