C. Versicolor ventilation.

tarantulameat

Arachnosquire
I would be looking at picking up a 2". Not too worried about how good the ventilation looks as this isnt its permanent home😂

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
SADS is when people used to give avics like, zero ventilation and they were wondering why their tarantulas were dying, so here is what I would do:
Take all of what you learned about SADS, and throw it out the window, and add some more holes, and you'll be good.:)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Forget about SADS, the hype around this species being difficult to keep alive is outdated and creates overthinking and complicates things IMO. I’ve always kept mine like any other avic, no special requirements.

Mine has been kept on primarily dry substrate, water dish on the floor and occasional drops on the web or bark higher up as a .5” sling. Now it’s ~3” and water dish is higher and substrate is kept dry. I don’t chase humidity numbers and my existing setup is working for me.

Who knows, I could have it totally wrong and it’s living on luck, but I don’t think so.

tarantulameat

Arachnosquire
SADS is when people used to give avics like, zero ventilation and they were wondering why their tarantulas were dying, so here is what I would do:
Take all of what you learned about SADS, and throw it out the window, and add some more holes, and you'll be good.:)
Awesome! Any recommendation for how many more holes on the sides?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Firstly, SADS is fictional syndrome created back when people couldn't figure out that keeping Aviculariinae in overly moist enclosures with restricted ventilation is actually one of the best ways to kill them.

As for how much ventilation you need. You don't need to Swiss cheese your enclosure in order to have sufficient ventilation, where you put the holes is more important than how many, you need holes in the top/lid of the enclosure and holes on at least one side just above substrate level at the bare minimum, the way this works is that as warmer air exits via the top of the enclosure it causes fresh air to be pulled in via the holes lower down and circulated throughout the enclosure preventing the environment from becoming stagnant.

cross vent.jpg

tarantulameat

Arachnosquire
Firstly, SADS is fictional syndrome created back when people couldn't figure out that keeping Aviculariinae in overly moist enclosures with restricted ventilation is actually one of the best ways to kill them.

As for how much ventilation you need. You don't need to Swiss cheese your enclosure in order to have sufficient ventilation, where you put the holes is more important than how many, you need holes in the top/lid of the enclosure and holes on at least one side just above substrate level at the bare minimum, the way this works is that as warmer air exits via the top of the enclosure it causes fresh air to be pulled in via the holes lower down and circulated throughout the enclosure preventing the environment from becoming stagnant.

View attachment 405002
Great thank you!

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
The note about hole placement is spot on
I put a row of holes just above the substrate and two or three rows towards the top.... Pulls in plenty of fresh air while not completely drying everything out...

Dorifto

He who moists xD

View attachment 405002
This.

It works with or without external air movement by simply having a bit of moisture. Humid and less dense air goes up = ventilation. Warmer and less dense air goes up = ventilation.

Side holes need external air movement to be efficient renewing the enclosure's air.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For my Aviculariinae I always put a double row of ventilation holes right above substrate/soil height and a row up at canopy level where it will web, and then amble holes on the top for warmer air to vent up and out through.

And Sads is not a thing today, it was from keeping Aviculariinae with moist substrate and high hhumidity trying to recreate the general climate they are from without taking into consideration the elevation and natural wind the would recieve above ground level, hence why it is recommend to have amble active airflow and dry substrate. No more SADS, problem solved!