C Versicolor sling question

DHaywood

Arachnopeon
Hey everybody! Super new to this, I just picked up a Versicolor sling as my first tarantula. Any advice is welcome!

My question is can it be a problem to feed a sling too large of prey?

I picked up some small mealworms as it was all I could find and dropped one into the enclosure and Bubbles (my Versicolor sling) immediately snatched it up and started to eat on it. It’s now been over 8 hours and he’s still working on the same mealworm. Hasn’t stopped eating or left it alone for any significant amount of time so I assume everything is okay, but I just wanted some more opinions.

Also my apartment stays around 69-72 Fahrenheit, is that too cold?

Thanks in advance!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey everybody! Super new to this, I just picked up a Versicolor sling as my first tarantula. Any advice is welcome!

My question is can it be a problem to feed a sling too large of prey?

I picked up some small mealworms as it was all I could find and dropped one into the enclosure and Bubbles (my Versicolor sling) immediately snatched it up and started to eat on it. It’s now been over 8 hours and he’s still working on the same mealworm. Hasn’t stopped eating or left it alone for any significant amount of time so I assume everything is okay, but I just wanted some more opinions.

Also my apartment stays around 69-72 Fahrenheit, is that too cold?

Thanks in advance!
Yes
Could be warmer I do 72-75

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
One of the most common mistakes made by new C. versicolor (and Avicularia) keepers is inadequate ventilation in the enclosure. If you can post some pics of your setup we can help make sure it's going to allow your little T to thrive.

DHaywood

Arachnopeon
[
One of the most common mistakes made by new C. versicolor (and Avicularia) keepers is inadequate ventilation in the enclosure. If you can post some pics of your setup we can help make sure it's going to allow your little T to thrive.

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
The ventilation is pretty good as it is now, but you've got a lot of wasted space with all that substrate in there. This species generally won't burrow at all, so you could get away with having about a third as much substrate and a larger piece of cork bark and some more leaves for it to build web tubes in.

DHaywood

Arachnopeon
The ventilation is pretty good as it is now, but you've got a lot of wasted space with all that substrate in there. This species generally won't burrow at all, so you could get away with having about a third as much substrate and a larger piece of cork bark and some more leaves for it to build web tubes in.
Awesome thank you for the advice! The breeder hooked me up with the enclosure and set it up for me. Would it be worth it to pull the T out and reset the enclosure or should I just let it be?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Awesome thank you for the advice! The breeder hooked me up with the enclosure and set it up for me. Would it be worth it to pull the T out and reset the enclosure or should I just let it be?
I would get it changed now before it gets any more settled in. That T could stay in that enclosure for a while longer if you made the changes because it would have considerably more room.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Agree with all of the above.

here to add that you may need to check the ventilation holes/carapace size to make sure it cant escape.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Welcome fellow Mississippian! Everyone gave solid advice, definitely follow it;)

DHaywood

Arachnopeon
Hi! I know you said that Versicolors don’t generally burrow but when I got home from work today and did my usual check in, I noticed Bubbles has started a burrow directly beneath the main web tunnel. Anything to be concerned about? I do have a small water dish in the enclosure and noticed she was drinking from it yesterday. Also she only ate half of the last mealworm I fed her. Maybe pre molt?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Hi! I know you said that Versicolors don’t generally burrow but when I got home from work today and did my usual check in, I noticed Bubbles has started a burrow directly beneath the main web tunnel. Anything to be concerned about? I do have a small water dish in the enclosure and noticed she was drinking from it yesterday. Also she only ate half of the last mealworm I fed her. Maybe pre molt?
Not anything that I would be worried about. It's hard to say what is going on without seeing a pic, though.

DHaywood

Arachnopeon
Not anything that I would be worried about. It's hard to say what is going on without seeing a pic, though.
Gotcha, yeah I can’t get a pic through the webbing but I don’t think I’m gonna worry about it. It looks like she’s just pulling some dirt up to use in her web for more privacy.

TheKitchenSink

Arachnopeon
My T. Rasti sling burrowed right away. It's webbed up pretty good though. My versicolor put up a web tube at the bottom of its enclosed as a sling, as it started to grow, the tube slowly got higher. Now it's closer to the top. Theyre so vulnerable when they're tiny. They go where they feel safe. It's hard not to fuss, but they're fine.

cold blood

Staff member
Are you using a heat mat? This species just flat out should not be burrowing.

TheKitchenSink

Arachnopeon
Absolutely not. I appreciate the concern and any advice.
Not sure how I can go about stopping this behaviour though.
Enclosure is built same way it was constructed for the versicolor. Lots of things to climb, water dish is up high, plenty of holes for air circulation and not a lot of substrate.

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Absolutely not. I appreciate the concern and any advice.
Not sure how I can go about stopping this behaviour though.
Enclosure is built same way it was constructed for the versicolor. Lots of things to climb, water dish is up high, plenty of holes for air circulation and not a lot of substrate.
A pic would help. As mentioned previously, it may just be adding substrate into it's web for privacy, but if it's really digging a hole to hide in, something else is up.

DHaywood

Arachnopeon
In my case no, I think I just had a case of over worrying. Cause she’s not hiding in the substrate or anything. I was initially concerned but I’m not anymore. The burrow I was describing is more of an indentation, it looks like you pushed your pinky into the substrate a quarter of an inch. Since the initial post I’ve only seen her sitting at the bottom near it once she’s spending almost all of her time up in the web tunnels.

A pic would help. As mentioned previously, it may just be adding substrate into it's web for privacy, but if it's really digging a hole to hide in, something else is up.
I’ll see if I can snag a pic through the webbing when I get home this afternoon.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I’ll see if I can snag a pic through the webbing when I get home this afternoon.
Gotcha. Sounds like everything is fine - I just lost track of who started this thread... :rofl: