C. versicolor sling having trouble climbing?

ronoverdrive

Arachnopeon
So this past weekend I picked up two C. versicolor slings and rehoused them since the substrate in the poorly ventilated dram bottles they came in was too moist causing them to fog up badly once they were on the invert shelf. After 3 days this is what one of the two slings is doing. I'm worried that unlike the other one this one may have a hard time climbing its enclosure and is stressed out because of it. This is my first time handling C. versicolor and I doubting this is normal, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
I don't have much experience, but I read about it. Some arboreal slings, like to burrow. One of my Avics did that to for a while. After one of it's molt, it started climbing again. Read somewhere that they do that in the wild to. Don't worry :)

cold blood

Staff member
I'd get it out of there quick before this thread turns sad.

Set up a 16oz deli cup something like this...with a good chunk of wood, plants surrounding it and a water dish. Also good ventilation is imperative. Keep the sub predominantly dry....with the right tools a versi should be up and webbing in no time.
Having a hard time climbing can be a sign of decline, but its also perfectly normal when they are in the pre-molt stages...I will say, its generally not a good sign for an avic (type) to be at the ground level, much less tucking into a burrow.

ronoverdrive

Arachnopeon
Well I tried rehousing and its just doing the same thing. Seems more interested in hiding on the ground then anything else. Could this be a premolt reaction?

ronoverdrive

Arachnopeon
Ok so it looks like it decided that it likes its new enclosure and is now crawling all over the place which is welcome relief.