C versicolor sling abdomen color

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Haven't had my versicolor sling molt with me yet.

Is this what the abdomen looks like as it enters a pre molt period? Is it just chunky? Is something else going on?

Thanks !

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah even if it’s not in premolt that’s a chunky versicolor sling mine’s abdomen is about half of that

Ents189

Arachnopeon
I'd just try feeding it every 10 days or so until it either stops taking food or slims down a bit. I would be willing to bet you'll see it close off its web very soon and get ready to molt.Just make sure you're taking prey items out if she doesn't take it. Last thing you want is for it to start molting with a hungry cricket in there.

I always have to remind myself they have been doing the spider thing for a lot longer than we have been around. Business as usual and let it do it's thing.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Yeah even if it’s not in premolt that’s a chunky versicolor sling mine’s abdomen is about half of that
Ok, so hold off feeding for a couple weeks or so?

I'd just try feeding it every 10 days or so until it either stops taking food or slims down a bit. I would be willing to bet you'll see it close off its web very soon and get ready to molt.Just make sure you're taking prey items out if she doesn't take it. Last thing you want is for it to start molting with a hungry cricket in there.

I always have to remind myself they have been doing the spider thing for a lot longer than we have been around. Business as usual and let it do it's thing.
Great thanks! I'll wait a while for feeding, as long as it looks chunky!

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight

For sure. I am still fighting myself with feeding too much. I've only had T's for a couple months , so I am just learning the signs, signals, and visual cues from these animals. I know spiders can go weeks to many months without food.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For sure. I am still fighting myself with feeding too much. I've only had T's for a couple months , so I am just learning the signs, signals, and visual cues from these animals. I know spiders can go weeks to many months without food.
What and how often are you feeding?

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
I am feeding pin head crickets about once every 5 or so days. The crickets are probably around the size or the carapace

Ents189

Arachnopeon
I still new myself, not even 2 years in. I've lurked AB for about a year now and just now finally made an account. You're already ahead by using these forums rather than online care sheets. Personally i feed my Ts under 3.5" an appropriately sized cricket twice a week, i slow down to once a week when they start looking chunky like yours is. But I don't obsess over a feeding schedule, you find a system that works for you.

I've kept snakes since i was pretty young, I have a large female retic that typically only gets fed once a month, so the idea of feeding something only once a week or two isn't new to me. Just keep learning and enjoy your Ts!

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I have my Master's degree in biology, but there is still so much to learn. And I'm sure a lot of it just comes with experience... So unless I can speed up time... I'm just along for the ride.

Ents189

Arachnopeon
Master's in Biology? I barely graduated high school, you'll be teaching me in no time :rofl: update us with some pics when that versi molts, they are by far my favorite species to watch grow. Mine is the gem of my collection, super common but hard to beat their looks

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Master's in Biology? I barely graduated high school, you'll be teaching me in no time :rofl: update us with some pics when that versi molts, they are by far my favorite species to watch grow. Mine is the gem of my collection, super common but hard to beat their looks
Will do! Lol if I knew it all , I wouldn't be asking questions here on the weekly. 😂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Congats on the masters in biology! i just started working on my masters in Entomology

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Congats on the masters in biology! i just started working on my masters in Entomology
Exciting! I'm a teacher in the state of NY! I did some research into cricket mating, but most of my studies fell into molecular genetics and evolution. Enjoy your journey!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Exciting! I'm a teacher in the state of NY! I did some research into cricket mating, but most of my studies fell into molecular genetics and evolution. Enjoy your journey!
Thats awesome!! and thanks! Im currently doing some reasearch in venation, and changes in venation in Lepidoptera, which falls more into evolution and morphology.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haven't had my versicolor sling molt with me yet.

Is this what the abdomen looks like as it enters a pre molt period? Is it just chunky? Is something else going on?

Thanks !
Fat fat fat— going to molt soon.

They don’t normally look like unless they have eaten a lot. Meaning they aren’t fat all the time