C. versicolor feeding

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
Hi hi!

For those of you with front opening enclosures for your versi's - how in the world do you get the prey up into the web!

My girl webbed the entire top and around the sides of the top. Getting the prey into her web is a bit challenging!

Any tips would be appreciated.
P ♥

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Mine is usually waiting at the opening of one of the tubes when hungry, so I'll use tongs to drop a cricket on the nearest leaf and it gets snatched up in short order. Even had my versi grab a cricket in mid air after it tried to jump off the leaf for safety. Don't worry, though - if you're using crickets and one manages to get down to the ground without being grabbed, it will either climb up and get caught eventually or the T will leave it's web and hunt it down. They are very capable hunters.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It will hunt with no problem even if preys are not on webbing.

CF458B06-5CEB-4212-9095-54ED2EAA950A.jpeg

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you so much, everyone!

I forgot to mention that she's a sling about 1".

Good grief it's always an adventure trying to get the food into her web!

April Webbing 1.jpg April Webbing 2.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I can see how it's tricky with the front panel of the enclosure not opening all the way to the top. I prefer front opening enclosures where the entire front panel opens, or at least only a portion on the bottom stays closed to retain substrate. You'll have to get creative with that one!

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
I can see how it's tricky with the front panel of the enclosure not opening all the way to the top. I prefer front opening enclosures where the entire front panel opens, or at least only a portion on the bottom stays closed to retain substrate. You'll have to get creative with that one!
Yups! I can't wait to find a better enclosure for her. This one is terrible. hehehe

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I haven't owned one personally but a friend of mine had a similar issue, after a while I suggested trying small/baby hoppers as I noticed when I feed them they always seem to climb to the highest point on their own. Crickets and roaches don't seem to do the same IMLE.

Just dropped in the base of the enclosure and the T will either hunt it down or catch it on the way up :)

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I normally drop a locust near the base due to my enclosure design. 9 times out of 10 it will start climbing and if the versi is hungry it will take it in pretty short order.