C. Versicolor Enclosure

tarantulameat

Arachnosquire
Enclosure I made for my C Versicolor that is coming tomorrow! Any feedback is appreciated! Its going to be a 2" sling? Juvenile? Don't know what you would call that size, anyways it has cross ventilation, water dish, sphagnum moss, ample (in my opinion) top coverage and plenty of room for it to web to its hearts content!
20211204_191238.jpg 20211204_191233.jpg 20211204_191247.jpg 20211204_191311.jpg 20211204_191253.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Looks good, except I think that water dish is too close to where it will likely be webbing and will get webbed over. I put all my Aviculariinae water dishes on the ground and see then drink out of them.

tarantulameat

Arachnosquire
Looks good, except I think that water dish is too close to where it will likely be webbing and will get webbed over. I put all my Aviculariinae water dishes on the ground and see then drink out of them.
I was thinking about doing that, but then read about a lot of Versicolor's not even coming out if there were tunnel to feed. I wanted to put it higher up so it is closer to it + it would be easier for me to clean if needed without having to tear up its web. Any suggestions of where it should go that's still higher up?

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
I was thinking about doing that, but then read about a lot of Versicolor's not even coming out if there were tunnel to feed. I wanted to put it higher up so it is closer to it + it would be easier for me to clean if needed without having to tear up its web. Any suggestions of where it should go that's still higher up?
They will rarely use the water dish, it is fine to have it on the ground as it will only drink from it on rare occasions even if it were right under it's fangs.

The water dish also doesn't really have to be as big as that one, and as long as the rest of the enclosure is kept proper then you should only need a water dish the size of a bottle cap. Just big enough for the spider to crouch and dip its mouth in. That makes it easy to move or fill without breaking up the webbing.

Also of you are serious about arachnid keeping and serious about not disturbing the webbing, then a watering wand is your best friend.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I’ve got five avics, all different species. I’ve had different results on water dish placement. My conclusion is it depends on the T and available space and it’s an observe and adjust situation.

High Placement
Three avics have the water dishes placed high for my larger specimens. One has no webbing on or leasing to it. One has built a web tunnel leading to the water, and one semi-webs over and around it with no real structure, but does not impede cleaning and filling.

Low Placement
Two of my avics I have the water dishes in the ground, these are my smaller avics. Both have webbed to the point I can’t use them. But that’s in my case, others don’t have issues. Note that these enclosures are also way smaller, so the space plays a big part in mine being webbed over.

tarantulameat

Arachnosquire
They will rarely use the water dish, it is fine to have it on the ground as it will only drink from it on rare occasions even if it were right under it's fangs.

The water dish also doesn't really have to be as big as that one, and as long as the rest of the enclosure is kept proper then you should only need a water dish the size of a bottle cap. Just big enough for the spider to crouch and dip its mouth in. That makes it easy to move or fill without breaking up the webbing.

Also of you are serious about arachnid keeping and serious about not disturbing the webbing, then a watering wand is your best friend.
Thanks! I use a pipette to fill the water to not disturb it :)

tarantulameat

Arachnosquire
I’ve got five avics, all different species. I’ve had different results on water dish placement. My conclusion is it depends on the T and available space and it’s an observe and adjust situation.

High Placement
Three avics have the water dishes placed high for my larger specimens. One has no webbing on or leasing to it. One has built a web tunnel leading to the water, and one semi-webs over and around it with no real structure, but does not impede cleaning and filling.

Low Placement
Two of my avics I have the water dishes in the ground, these are my smaller avics. Both have webbed to the point I can’t use them. But that’s in my case, others don’t have issues. Note that these enclosures are also way smaller, so the space plays a big part in mine being webbed over.
Perfect! I've been reading on vipers thread for avic care and made my decision based on that info, I'm happy to hear it seems to be what works best (for most people not everyone)

Anandi

Arachnopeon
i would sand the edges of the water dish just to be safe. otherwise seems pretty good.