C versicolor dead in water dish

valswishh

Arachnopeon
78ECE841-0E01-47F9-9F57-A0935D0E89EB.jpeg
This is pretty hard for me to type. I had this beautiful girl for nearly 2 years, and found her dead curled up in her small water dish (that was halfway full). This photo was taken 2 days before she passed away, so I really don’t know why she suddenly died. She hadn’t ate in a while, I’d say 2 weeks. I was suspecting a molt as she hadn’t molted since September and she did molt every 3-4 months in my care. I misted once a day. Never bothered her. Tried not to harass her with food when she refused. When she was a sling. she was stuck molting and I helped her with a paintbrush. She lost a leg, and regenerated it back next molt. She’s a miracle baby. It’s just so unfortunate she looked alive, healthy, and active the morning I left her to find her dead at night. Does this usually happen? I’ve neved had a tarantula die in my care, and I’ve had over 30 different species. This just sucks.Wanted to share my experience with my fellow arachnid lovers. You will be missed greatly blue dream. 78ECE841-0E01-47F9-9F57-A0935D0E89EB.jpeg

Attachments

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Beautiful girl. So sorry for your loss.

Looks freshly molted? Possibly a molt that went wrong while you were out? Or a fall right after molting?

valswishh

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much. I’m actually going to tear apart her enclosure and look for a molt around, though very unlikely. She was complete when I found her. I flipped her and tried looking for any open wound, anything that seemed odd and she looked perfectly fine. Plumped abdomen. She was due for a molt soon. it’s just so freaking odd.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I'm very sorry for your loss. To have taken such careful care of your beloved pet and then loose her unexpectedly is quite a shock. May I ask why you misted her daily? Hopefully the Avic experts will chime in here, but I've been counseled that high humidity, especially if there wasn't enough cross ventilation (which I can't see in the pics) can be unhealthy for them.

valswishh

Arachnopeon
I'm very sorry for your loss. To have taken such careful care of your beloved pet and then loose her unexpectedly is quite a shock. May I ask why you misted her daily? Hopefully the Avic experts will chime in here, but I've been counseled that high humidity, especially if there wasn't enough cross ventilation (which I can't see in the pics) can be unhealthy for them.
I would mist it every 1-3 days. Though I tried my best at least once every morning because I’m usually gone all day. My care has never changed since I had her as a sling, I did make sure to mist to the point where droplets can evaporate. I didn’t find any molt scraps behind, so I’ll never really know why she passed. I’m having her preserved at the moment.

image.jpg Pics of her enclosure. No molt to be found.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can’t say it was misting so regularly - but if the air smelled inside even a bit -‘ that kills Avics- moist stagnant air

if not- who knows