C versicolor care and husdandry help

cold blood

Staff member
Do you think the versicolor would care about dried magnolia leaves crushed?
As substrate, no. While they wont ever burrow, and wont spend any appreciable amount of time on the ground aside from hunting and the occasional drink, it should still have a firm footing and you wouldn't want something loose like that where feeders could easily hide in/under.

Just plain dirt works find....a 40lb bag is under $2 at home depot.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
As substrate, no. While they wont ever burrow, and wont spend any appreciable amount of time on the ground aside from hunting and the occasional drink, it should still have a firm footing and you wouldn't want something loose like that where feeders could easily hide in/under.

Just plain dirt works find....a 40lb bag is under $2 at home depot.
I have bricks of coco fiber and I mixed dried leaves in with the substrate but I use Dubias so they just burrow anyway lol.

cold blood

Staff member
I have bricks of coco fiber and I mixed dried leaves in with the substrate but I use Dubias so they just burrow anyway lol.
Aside from the mature male, dubia should always have their heads crushed prior to feeding....this doesn't kill them, but it prevents them from burrowing.

Just try to keep the floor clear of clutter, it makes hunting easier for the t.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Aside from the mature male, dubia should always have their heads crushed prior to feeding....this doesn't kill them, but it prevents them from burrowing.

Just try to keep the floor clear of clutter, it makes hunting easier for the t.
Ok that would probably do the trick thanks.

mellow

Arachnobaron
Sorry I'm late lol, nice! I have a C. Versicolor sling and I just rehoused it into a nice amac box from the container store, I just used two pins to attach the cork bark to the top of the enclosure and used clear hot glue to attach the fake plant to the cork bark, I like how it looks and it seems to be happy with it's new enclosure too. 😁
IMG_20200703_132017129.jpg IMG_20200703_132128682.jpg

SharkNATO

Arachnopeon
If you aren't trying to buy bulk deli cups just roll up to the deli section at your grocery, ask for some pasta salad or whatever looks good, and when they ask how much gesture toward the appropriately sized container.

Just make sure to wash the container thoroughly after you eat the pasta salad,,,

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry I'm late lol, nice! I have a C. Versicolor sling and I just rehoused it into a nice amac box from the container store, I just used two pins to attach the cork bark to the top of the enclosure and used clear hot glue to attach the fake plant to the cork bark, I like how it looks and it seems to be happy with it's new enclosure too. 😁
View attachment 351620 View attachment 351621
Looks good!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Here are my two new C versicolor slings guys
Much better choice for you, you need some side ventilation for C. versicolor slings though. I’d look at maybe 16oz or even 3x3x4 amac box or something similar that way you can add cross ventilation.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Much better choice for you, you need some side ventilation for C. versicolor slings though. I’d look at maybe 16oz or even 3x3x4 amac box or something similar that way you can add cross ventilation.
I know just don’t have 16 oz deli’s and they seem to be doing fine and the pet store has had them in there for almost 2 weeks without issue I will just carefully watch them.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I know just don’t have 16 oz deli’s and they seem to be doing fine and the pet store has had them in there for almost 2 weeks without issue I will just carefully watch them.
SO, again instead of listening to advice you're going to ignore it and leave your tarantula in terrible housing because "it was doing fine at the pet store"

If you don't have a deli cup for it, then a Tupperware style container or similar will work.

Vials are death traps for this species. Ventilation is ridiculously important.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
SO, again instead of listening to advice you're going to ignore it and leave your tarantula in terrible housing because "it was doing fine at the pet store"

If you don't have a deli cup for it, then a Tupperware style container or similar will work.

Vials are death traps for this species. Ventilation is ridiculously important.
Will they stress out and die if I put them in the 32? But I’m saying they are fine and my moms not taking me out again today anyway.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You can use anything else but top ventilation on vials doesnt promote airflow at all, and you dont kknow how much moisture is in that substrate that the pet store had it in.... You could have stuffy conditions in there right now and not even know it. You can put it in pretty much anything else. Just because they had it in it doesnt mean that is the right thing for this species. Take two of your moms plastic tuperware containers and poke a ton of holes in it with like a thumb tack.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
You can use anything else but top ventilation on vials doesnt promote airflow at all, and you dont kknow how much moisture is in that substrate that the pet store had it in.... You could have stuffy conditions in there right now and not even know it. You can put it in pretty much anything else. Just because they had it in it doesnt mean that is the right thing for this species. Take two of your moms plastic tuperware containers and poke a ton of holes in it with like a thumb tack.
Mom told I’m not ruining her Tupperware containers. So the 32oz containers will be ok for these little dudes?

Could I just drill more holes into the viles? Without the spiders inside? And each in a catch cup?

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
View attachment 351620 View attachment 351621
This is actually a really good example, I would just add a bottle cap watering dish, personally, and keep the substrate dry. Good stuff. Plus it is probably going to web up the top of the enclosure so this way it won’t bother the T much.