C versicolor care and husdandry help

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Instead of the Pokie that I am returning hopefully on Monday. I believe I’m going to get a C. Versicolor and was wondering for some care and help with its husbandry. I know the basics of it lots of ventilation water dish lots of plants to hide behind and a cork hide with just damp substrate. Do you guys think this is a good idea? If not what other tarantulas should I look at?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Everything sounds good much better choice! They are an awesome species!!

but keep it on dry substrate. They are easy to keep with lots of vent and dry substrate. This prevents and stuffiness inside enclosure.

and the cork should be a slab leaned up vertical or anywhere between a 45^ angle. If you put a tube in you may have a pet tube.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Instead of the Pokie that I am returning hopefully on Monday. I believe I’m going to get a C. Versicolor and was wondering for some care and help with its husbandry. I know the basics of it lots of ventilation water dish lots of plants to hide behind and a cork hide with just damp substrate. Do you guys think this is a good idea? If not what other tarantulas should I look at?
That enclosure that houses your current p.met would be perfect for a versicolor with maybe a little more ventilation.

And in all honesty, you'll like the versi more as you'll see it far more often. It's nowhere near as reclusive.

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
Out of the 3 pinktoes I have ( Antillies, blue green, & goliath pinktoe) they all like to make your homes on top of the talest item in the tank. The Antillies & Blue green pink toe tarantulas are slings so theyrr housed in a 3inh vial. While the Goliath is in a 8x8x10 Exo terra. He's about 3 to 4in. I use a milk jug lid for water and fill it with water every few days and over fill the dish maybe once week to let it dry in between. Out of the 30+ tarantulas I have I think I've had the easiest with a Brazilian white knee. I raised one from sling to about 6in now which is a female that I found out after checking a prev molt. She always sits out and displays.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Everything sounds good much better choice! They are an awesome species!!

but keep it on dry substrate. They are easy to keep with lots of vent and dry substrate. This prevents and stuffiness inside enclosure.

and the cork should be a slab leaned up vertical or anywhere between a 45^ angle. If you put a tube in you may have a pet tube.
Could I hot glue pieces of cork and plants to the top part of the enclosure? in the circled part? I plan on getting the same type of enclosure but with lots more ventilation.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Could I hot glue pieces of cork and plants to the top part of the enclosure? in the circled part? I plan on getting the same type of enclosure but with lots more ventilation.
Yes you can glue them in so that it has cover up high and things to web around up top.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Sounds good is there any other heavy webbing arboreal NW I should look out for as well?

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
Don't use hot glue, to be honest idk if hot glue is safe. But caulking for fish tanks is. Ive only used that.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
I’ve never had a problem with the clear hot glue sticks. Used it for everything.
Ok if I see any problems I’ll fix it with aquarium grade silicone. I think my mom buys the non-toxic animal safe hot glue as well if that’s any better

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Ok if I see any problems I’ll fix it with aquarium grade silicone. I think my mom buys the non-toxic animal safe hot glue as well if that’s any better
I guess it comes down to preference as to be honest a lot of this hobby does. You can do either really.

cold blood

Staff member
Lots of people use glue without issue...however, in the hundreds I have raised, I have never seen a reason to glue plants. Put them in a secure place, use the wood to anchor them a bit...in time when the t webs, its webbing will secure everything into place....then when you re use the enclosure, its as easy as cleaning the web out as opposed to dealing with glue.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Ok I have hot glue right now and I’m going to do a practice set up without substrate and send it and ask how it looks if that’s ok?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Here is one of my Versicolor color setups.

FC4B094D-56FC-4F4B-B268-19CCEFF1AF9D.jpeg

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I love my versi so so so much. She was under 1/2" when I got her.
Screenshot_20200704-180938_Photos.jpg

I recently did my first rehouse with her and this is when I realized I am nowhere near ready for anything faster. However, she did end up in the new enclosure and is doing just fine.
Screenshot_20200704-181039_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20200704-181107_Photos.jpg

I think you are going to love this species.

Oh yeah I meant to say that I used hot glue on both enclosures. The only problem was that it would have been much easier to re house had I not glued everything in. I ended up having to break the cork bark out very slowly and gently

Last edited: