C. Versi sling molt

Rachnee420

Arachnopeon
My lil sling has had her 2 month molt, she is behind her shell thingy in her webbing. Do I need to do anything? I don't think she can get back out. Day 4 since molt. So do I pull the molt out?

Attachments

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
The spider will push the molt out when it's ready to do so. I wouldn't reccomend doing anything that would disturb a freshly molted sling.

On another note,that enclosure seems rather large for a sling,just judging by the photo. Can you get a photo of the whole enclosure?

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
As voiced by @vicareux, if the molt isn’t easily accessible just wait until your t pushes it out. I’ve left molts for quite some time in enclosures just because they were impossible to get (fossorials are the worst, for obvious reasons).

A much smaller enclosure would be very beneficial as well

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My lil sling has had her 2 month molt, she is behind her shell thingy in her webbing. Do I need to do anything? I don't think she can get back out. Day 4 since molt. So do I pull the molt out?
leave molt, no need to pull it out ever.

looks like your sling is in a setup too large, if so, that can lead to death for a variety of reasons.

Rachnee420

Arachnopeon
It is rather large, She is normally very active. Still haven't seen any movement outside her log, molt is still in same spot. I did look into the hole and seen her shift positions, so I know she's in there and alive. Why would it cause death? Enclosure is a 10 gallon planted tank. Springtails and isopods are in the soil. Should I move her back to her other tank? It's a 5 gallon funarium.
When should I try to put more crickets in? Due to eat today actually.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Enclosure is a 10 gallon planted tank.
This it’s waaaaaay to big.......😳.....so is the 5 gallon. It should be housed in something about 16-32oz.. ounces not gallons. That sling, can’t see, but doesn’t even look based on webbing and piece of molt to be more than an inch. How big is it? I’d be very surprised if it survived in that 10gal.
Here’s an example of size that I’m assuming that versicolor should be housed in.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Why would it cause death? Enclosure is a 10 gallon planted tank. Springtails and isopods are in the soil. Should I move her back to her other tank? It's a 5 gallon funarium.
When should I try to put more crickets in? Due to eat today actually.
My experience is it is better to keep in a smaller size appropriate enclosure so you can easily monitor it. If you have it in a massive setup you’ve reduced prey interaction and if there are any problems or concerns you’d be more likely to see those earlier on in a smaller enclosure.

Ditch the feeding schedule. I don’t stick to any particular day or time. Resume feeding when the fangs are black. I feed my slings about twice a week and use abdomen size as an indicator on when to slow it down or increase.

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
How big is it? I’d be very surprised if it survived in that 10gal.
We are getting to a crazy point of big enclosure shaming.
It is too big? It's way way too big.
Is that dangerous to a sling? Nah.

Falls can be dangerous, but that's hardly an issue when the spider weights less than a cheeto.

The enclosure is enormous and it's going to be an absolute nightmare for feeding or monitoring, and I wouldn't use one of those, probably not even for adults, but I don't think it's dangerous for an arboreal sling.

I'm surprised no one has yet complained about using isopods.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Falls can be dangerous, but that's hardly an issue when the spider weights less than a cheeto.
but I don't think it's dangerous for an arboreal sling.
Who said Anything about a fall ? It’s dangerous cause that sling may never eat or find food in there. So yes it’s way too big and can be dangerous for a sling that size. That’s not shaming that’s just the truth.

Rachnee420

Arachnopeon
I didn't know the use of isopods wasn't good either 😅 trying to follow advise online is a nightmare.
Anything and everything you can tell me about my baby is much appreciated!!
I got a 1 gallon plastic enclosure and set her log she is inside of in it.
When she comes out of her log should I remove it or leave it?
I did research on them for a year before I got her and I thought I had learned so much and was ready. I'm sooo glad I found this site!

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I didn't know the use of isopods wasn't good either 😅 trying to follow advise online is a nightmare.
Anything and everything you can tell me about my baby is much appreciated!!
I got a 1 gallon plastic enclosure and set her log she is inside of in it.
When she comes out of her log should I remove it or leave it?
I did research on them for a year before I got her and I thought I had learned so much and was ready. I'm sooo glad I found this site!
This may still be too big. You need to set this any thing you go with up fot an arboreal, right now it is largely set up for a terrestrial. You want an upward price of bark at a 45 degree angle with plant cover up high. And unfortunately that enclosure does not have adequate air flow.
Read these threads and then come back with questions if you have any

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
@Rachnee420 Depending on who you are asking, isopods are either harmless critters or protein hunters that will eat your tarantula any second.
There seems to be a lot of mixed information about them.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
@Rachnee420 Depending on who you are asking, isopods are either harmless critters or protein hunters that will eat your tarantula any second.
The people who say they're a great clean-up crew are usually either uneducated or trying to sell them. The people who have success keeping tarantulas for years tell people not to use them because when a tarantula is molting the isopods will chew on your tarantula for protein and many have been killed that way.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
For an arboreal that lives high up such as Avicularia types, protein hungry isopods or even most live feeders would pose very little threat, but avics and versis shouldn't have conditions that would support isopods anyway. For other arboreals that make their homes at the base, terrestrials, and fossorials, they very well can be dangerous.

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
The people who say they're a great clean-up crew are usually either uneducated or trying to sell them. The people who have success keeping tarantulas for years tell people not to use them because when a tarantula is molting the isopods will chew on your tarantula for protein and many have been killed that way.
That's just an opinion, I could say that anyone that tells you that isopods are dangerous for your tarantulas are just uneducated, trying to sell you more springtails or just messing with you.
I have read enough positive and negative opinions about isopods to realize that there is no general opinion about them, and it's just a guessing game: some blame an specific species, some say they are all dangerous, some say they kept isopods with tarantulas for several years and never had any issues.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
That's just an opinion, I could say that anyone that tells you that isopods are dangerous for your tarantulas are just uneducated, trying to sell you more springtails or just messing with you.
I have read enough positive and negative opinions about isopods to realize that there is no general opinion about them, and it's just a guessing game: some blame an specific species, some say they are all dangerous, some say they kept isopods with tarantulas for several years and never had any issues.
If they are hungry they are a danger to a molting Tarantula.
I have heard of two cases where scorpions have died without an obvious cause and they have suspected the isopods.
I found my spider chewed up and dead and an isopod feeding on it.
Same thing I've had them attached to beetle wings eating them alive as the beetle runs away
just had a centipede get eaten by a hoard of T. sessile
I agree... I've had a cricket kill one of my Latrodectus menavodi during her molt
Porcellio laevis eating a dehydrated fish... They LOVE protein
It's not an opinion, why risk it? It's like mesh tops, some people don't have problems, other people have problems, and at the end of the day why risk the tarantulas life for something you don't even need?

Edit:
In reading through these posts you sure seem to have a habit of saying that isopods are safe or questioning them being dangerous and when contradicted, you don't look at the facts.

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
For an arboreal that lives high up such as Avicularia types, protein hungry isopods or even most live feeders would pose very little threat, but avics and versis shouldn't have conditions that would support isopods anyway. For other arboreals that make their homes at the base, terrestrials, and fossorials, they very well can be dangerous.
I've had Isopods climb 12" up glass. (They can't climb the clean glass but when the glass is dirty they can climb it). I wouldn't say that the Isopods pose any less threat to arboreal tarantulas than to terrestrials.

Sure, you can say whatever you want to say, doesn't mean you're correct.

I keep 20+ species of Isopods, the only ones I would EVER put in with any other living creature are dwarf white Isopods and even then it's not worth the risk to an animal like a tarantula that is very vulnerable when it is molting.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I've had Isopods climb 12" up glass. (They can't climb the clean glass but when the glass is dirty they can climb it). I wouldn't say that the Isopods pose any less threat to arboreal tarantulas than to terrestrials.

Very good point, and thank you for correcting me. So still, very much a risk no matter what.