C. ssp. "blue" aggression

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After having resisted buying any new Ts since August :)eek:) I finally splurged & bought a C. ssp. "blue" sling.

I've read a few topics that have mentioned them being aggressive, but through my searches I can't seem to find any description or comparison of "how" they are aggressive (or defensive if you prefer.)

Are they more likely to run then attack when cornered or are they known to attack with little disturbance (ex: P. murinus)?

Just curious.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, i have a subadult female and a friend of mine has got a breeding group. none of them, though some are wc, are per se aggressive. they are VERY skittish and will bolt at the slightest provocation, but not even the specimen we had to coax out from under his microwave tried to bite (that was a nasty shock :eek:).

so i'd say: they are ime very nervous bot not prone to bite. that will change, of course, as soon as they have nowhere left to run. rehousing, btw, is very easy if you offer them a cork tube: usually they just remain sitting in there while you put the bark in a new container - no guarantee it works every time, though ;).

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
Very unpredictable

IME these tarantulas are very unpredictable. Adults will sit motionless, even when prodded. Occasionally they will become totally out of control, running very fast, and biting repeatedly (similar to H. lividum). I would reccommend that you be very cautious, and never get fooled into thinking that this is a docile animal.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I've never seen any defensive behaviour from any of mine. Mind you they are not adult yet. The are similar in behaviour to some of my pokies, not defensive but very, very skittish.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME these tarantulas are very unpredictable. Adults will sit motionless, even when prodded. Occasionally they will become totally out of control, running very fast, and biting repeatedly (similar to H. lividum). I would reccommend that you be very cautious, and never get fooled into thinking that this is a docile animal.
very true! ive got 4, 2 females.2 juvies and yeah you'll never know what they will do:razz:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a 2.25 inch sling. i've never had any trouble with her per se, but i'd never try to predict what she'll do when i open her tank longer than it takes to plop in a cric.

Last edited:

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aye, i wouldnt recomend holing it, mine nearly bit me when doin that, you really have to be careful because they are unpredictable as said..IME

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my adult female is...ugh...usually when i prod her she won't even move...but whenever i really tried to move her or rehouse her she'll rear up and bite aggressively. so...u figure. lol