C. Sculpturatis tank setup advice

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
I was thinking the same thing :p I guess time will tell. I ordered a female but who knows if they sexed it correctly. It did swat away a cricket with its tail, so far it hasn't ate. Really likes being right under the heat lamp :smug:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
It looks female and if it's flicking food away with it's tail it's probably I'm pre molt. Up the humidity a little and let time do the rest. I just posted a molt a few minutes ago lol my Rhopalurus

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Was not aware they did well in groups, I would be concerned about cannibalism. I may get a couple more in that case. It is a 5 gallon so what would be an appropriate amount of scorps to keep to avoid them cannibalizing?
I am not a fan of how this guy uses pliers to grab his Scorpions, and I am also not a fan of that fake gel crap he uses instead of real water. But he keeps a bunch in a 5.5 gallon:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
As others have mentioned, it's important that these scorpions can orient themselves vertically or even hang upside-down.

They are lithophiles and in the wild, they live on sheer rocky steep cliffs, which is atypical of this genus.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Was not aware they did well in groups, I would be concerned about cannibalism. I may get a couple more in that case. It is a 5 gallon so what would be an appropriate amount of scorps to keep to avoid them cannibalizing?
i currently have a communal set up in a 10g and so far have 13 specimens, ranging from juvie(~.75") to full adults(2-3")
and they all do amazing together. vine throughout the winter ill find several of mine huddled together on my slab of Rock in the corner. if you can, id suggest looking into excavators clay, when it hardens its a great surface for them to climb on, as they DO climb but they need a somewhat rough surface to do so, plus this allows for a very natural environment for them.

if you have the means, id also suggest possibly getting many more hiding spots. and keeping them aimed more towards the corners, keeping the middle of the tank empty and low. it will basically make it feel more native to them. ill post more pics of my own set up later when i get home to snag some photo's of it.

All in all, they are a Wonderful communal species and as long as you keep them well fed theres no issues. i usually drop ~20 medium crickets in the tank every two weeks, and just let them sit in their with them.

Attachments

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I am not a fan of how this guy uses pliers to grab his Scorpions, and I am also not a fan of that fake gel crap he uses instead of real water. But he keeps a bunch in a 5.5 gallon:
oh wow. i literally cant help but cringe at the moment he pulled out the pliers to move them.

an potentially "dangerous" as this species is, there is not a single reason to use those. a stick and a glass cup works just fine. while they can climb, any extremely smooth surface IE: smooth glass of a drinking cup, usually leaves them unable to climb at all. even the smooth plastic of a tall Deli Cup is almost impossible for them to climb.

and on top of it, of every species of any invert I've owned, these guys seem to have the most docile attitude, i can usually get them where i need to by just tapping them, and I've only ever seen one react with a sting, and that was literally because i picked him up by the tail and he immediately went to snag my finger. as long as you don't try to "pinch" or push down on them, they are usually content with just shuffling quickly into any direction you want them to go, but thats just my own personal experience. of course i don't suggest handling them, but i will say they are 100x easier to get picked up and moved then, like, my H. Spinfer forest scorpion( who promptly and immediately will always go into a defensive mode and literally pinch at anything within range) or any of my tarantulas.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
oh wow. i literally cant help but cringe at the moment he pulled out the pliers to move them.
You and me both. I only posted the videos to get a sense of how many were kept in size tank that he had.

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently got about 25+ c. sculps and they are all living in a 10 gallon tank with some wood and other things to climb on