C. Sculpturatis tank setup advice

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Just set it up. It will have a locked lid and infrared heat lamp as well. Wondering if I should add more rocks? I only have about an inch or two of substrate which is 50/50 sand/coco fiber. Any suggestions?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
They don't need deep substrate they will spend they're time on the wood or bark hides. Having a climbing surface on both the hot and cool side would be a better addition

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 237213 View attachment 237214
Just set it up. It will have a locked lid and infrared heat lamp as well. Wondering if I should add more rocks? I only have about an inch or two of substrate which is 50/50 sand/coco fiber. Any suggestions?
That's a good start, but I would add a couple of more pieces of vertically-oriented bark for them to climb and hide in.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
You don't need the water dish. Don't know they would ever use it.Occasional misting is fine. More vertical surface. Shallow sand substrate is what I use. Majority of the time they will be climbing or vertical. Make sure it is absolute escape proof.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A water dish wouldn't hurt. Even if they don't use it I always feel better having one there.

Hiking Mike

Arachnopeon
I noticed you are using a zoomed thermometer/humidity gauge, have you ever had any issues with it? I recent bought two, and the Temps read the same, but the humidity is different by 8-10 degrees. Is it just a cheap brand?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I noticed you are using a zoomed thermometer/humidity gauge, have you ever had any issues with it? I recent bought two, and the Temps read the same, but the humidity is different by 8-10 degrees. Is it just a cheap brand?
They're known for not being greatly accurate. Used more for a "range " in temps

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Okay, so the scorpion just came in today. I already put it in the tank and didn't even think to take pics so I hope it comes out tonight... It's hiding somewhere right now, but here is the tank setup. The lid is very secure so no chance of it climbing out.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 238363 View attachment 238364
Okay, so the scorpion just came in today. I already put it in the tank and didn't even think to take pics so I hope it comes out tonight... It's hiding somewhere right now, but here is the tank setup. The lid is very secure so no chance of it climbing out.
Only one? I would opt for several since they have a good reputation of living together and with having a bunch of them in there you're always guaranteed to see at least a couple of them out and about.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Looks nice, although it will only use what's on ground level (flat rocks are great). How deep is your substrate?
C. sculpturatus is an arboreal species that needs vertical bark and such to climb and hide in.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Was not aware they did well in groups, I would be concerned about cannibalism. I may get a couple more in that case. It is a 5 gallon so what would be an appropriate amount of scorps to keep to avoid them cannibalizing?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Cannibalizing will depend on how well you kept them fed and usually happens in between molts. Best odds are to have a bunch of adults and keep them well fed!

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Okay, I just bought two more, won't get them until next week though. I'm hoping they are all fully adult and won't have to deal with separating them for molts :) Is there a way for me to tell if they are fully grown?

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
image.jpeg
They did not say, I'll email and ask. Here is a low quality picture, the best I could get right now. I'm beginning to think its not full grown, including the tail only about 2 inches.

Attachments