C. Ritae Sling w/HUGE Abdomen..

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
My ritae sling last molted about 3 weeks ago and since then has been eating like crazy. Her abdomen is now bigger than her carapace. She even ate yesterday, which put her at the size she is now. Ive attached a few pictures of her, the first one is her fresh after the molt, and the second and third ones are of her now. Should I stop offering food twice a week? Im worried she could hurt herself if she gets much bigger...
is she gonna be alright? lol.. Ive never had a sling eat to this size.

Thats a BIG butt, I dont care what anyone says...lol

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At least you know it isn't starved. It's fine and will probably gain a good amount of size on the next molt :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll agree the sling is fine, but I don't believe there would be an issue with stopping food until it molts or looses some booty :) I've done it before with slings that got way fat, they were just fine not eating until they molted out of it.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There's no need to feed it twice a week all the time. Tarantulas don't need to eat on a regular schedule, such as 2x per week, but rather judge by the size of its abdomen and determine if it needs food that way. You may find it's normal and okay to even go a couple weeks without feeding after they've been plumped up.

Also, cyriocosmus like to eat. If you offer food, it seems the only time they don't eat is if they are in premolt. So that's another reason to use your better judgement. Nice looking ritae by the way. :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She'll probably start into premolt (refusing food) within another feeding or three. I wouldn't call that dangerously fat but you aren't too far from it. I'd push feeding back to once a week or less until the molt comes.