C.nitidus mutants

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
very interesting.
wow 2 stings.....thanks for sharing the pics.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The mutant molted into 5.instar last week.
Now it's a subadult male or female. I hope female.

High definition picture 1
High definition picture 2
the best thing would be if it turned out to be a male and the mutation was on the Y chromosome. then all male progeny would carry the mutation assuming there were no alleles on the x chromosome or autosomes that block it etc. but that's pretty unlikely i would imagine.

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the best thing would be if it turned out to be a male and the mutation was on the Y chromosome. then all male progeny would carry the mutation assuming there were no alleles on the x chromosome or autosomes that block it etc. but that's pretty unlikely i would imagine.

John
But the result would be worth publishing :D

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But the result would be worth publishing :D
very true.
in retrospect after giving this lots of thought, i suppose it is very unlikely to be a gene located on the Y chromosome as there have been two tailed females before. according to the annecdotes from keepers, specificly the famous Pepe the two tailed sculpturatus she produced many different litters and none of her offspring shared the mutation, meaning that it is most likely a recessive gene. in that case i still think the best thing that could occur in this situation would be if the mutation was a sex linked trait on the x chromosome and the specimen you have is a male. if that is the case the male will only have one copy of the allele in question, so will pass it down to all of his offspring. so if you breed it to a regular female, all of the offspring of that cross should then carry one recessive allele for the two tailed mutation. if you then chose to breed on of the females of the litter back to the father, you would stand a very high chance of getting some offspring that would be homozygous for the two tailed mutation, or at the very least a decent portion of the litter that would be heterozygous for the allele.

incidentally, scorpions are very primitive creatures with only about 5 or so chromosomes i believe (not sure on the exact number) does anyone know if there has been any studies done into gene mapping scorpions? we know almost the entire genome for things like zebrafish and what alleles control what traits etc, you would think we would have similar mapping done for scorpions, but maybe not. if we knew which chromosome contained the gene which encodes for the creation of the tail, it would certainly help isolate the trait... but given the rarity of the trait and the difficulty of reproducing it, i think it may be more like a syndrome brought on by the presence of an extra non protien encoding chromosome, which causes the defect, but since i'm pretty much flying blind here with regards to genetics of scorpions this is all mostly guesswork.

john

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So the OP still hasn't said whether it uses both tails?

Very cool.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as far as trying to breed twin tail scorpions, wouldn't the mortality rate make things difficult? i thought that was the main reason this thread was so big was due to the fact that it had survived the first molting process and now even into subadulthood (not a real word but hey) so breeding scorpions for this trait would hardly seem worth it. but thats just my thoughts on it.

AshMashMash

Arachnopeon

John
Do scorpions even have XY Sex determination? :?

Some birds and insects have ZW sex determination... and males are homozygous (ZZ), not females.

Also, the two tail thing is so similar to something like two headed snakes it seems to me like it might be an incomplete seperation of an egg, or fusion of one or more eggs, before partuition, no? In which case, there would be no hereditary link at all, and it couldn't be bred for. Even two of them occuring in the same siblings suggests it might be non-genetic congenital deformity as apposed to a hereditary genetic one. Lastly, EVEN if it is genetic, that doesn't make it hereditary either.

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are willing to part with one??

lol awesome man congrats
quick question prolly a dumb one but would you sell em? or trade

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol awesome man congrats
quick question prolly a dumb one but would you sell em? or trade
I take it you skimmed through this thread. didn't you? He only has one. One died months ago.
I know if I had this, I wouldn't part ways with it. I would be trying to breed it to get more and start his own mutant line. Just like how you now have options on what color you want your common corn snake (red rat snake) to be.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd be willing to bet that it's not genetic, and likely the result of an accidental duplication early on in the embryonic development. Either way it is cool.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The third picture is my favorite. I love the crossing of the tails!

Glad to see that it's doing well.