C. lividus

JG91215

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I am new to this species and made a rookie mistake… I mistook the size of this sling and will need to rehome this one. I am thinking of using the enclosure attached. I realize it is a fossorial, but I like the idea of having that much substrate for burrowing. Does anyone have any better suggestions??

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Moist - but not wet substrate, a water dish, a piece of cork bark because cork bark never harms... That's all you need for this species. Of course I can't pinpoint by the pic, exactly, the size of the enclosure you're thinking to use, but a honestly 'large' KK do the job quite well for this and those kind of spiders.

This is the result you want to achieve:

C. lividus 2.jpg

C. lividus 1.jpg

Obviously, be always careful during the various re-homing operations because I can tell you without doubts that, in my opinion after all of those years of experience around T's, that 'haplos' are the most defensive nuts out there - There's no 'baboon' or 'OBT' or else to compare, when/if those are pissed off.

JG91215

Arachnopeon
Dang it, the photo didn’t post as I wanted it to. It’s 3”W x 3”D x 6”T. Or would something even larger work?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Dang it, the photo didn’t post as I wanted it to. It’s 3”W x 3”D x 6”T. Or would something even larger work?
The rule with dieharder burrowers (especially in the case of female specimens) is: The sooner in their 'final' enclosure, the better. Those kind of spiders hate to be rehomed/moved etc (of course, including a normal thing like a sale is, which obviously ends to move those from their homes for the pack and ship).

Ain't joking, you can move the likes of a G. pulchripes, A. geniculata etc 10 times, no big deal, but doing the same with hardcore burrowers may lead to issues, because those kind of spiders waste a lot of efforts for create their tunnel system-house.

It's up to you the final choice but frankly, I would house this 'haplo' in a normally 'large' KK.

JG91215

Arachnopeon
Okay. I will take your advice and get something larger that he/she can grow into. Thank you so much!

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I realize it is a fossorial, but I like the idea of having that much substrate for burrowing.
I personally agree with you. That's my preference for fossorials as well. My experience with all the ones I have is that they'll use as much of the height as they're given. I have a juvenile c. darlingi in a 32 oz. deli cup and she has tunneled the ENTIRE thing from bottom to lid. Her adult enclosure will be an arboreal enclosure when it comes time to finally move her into it :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What is the DLS of the tarantula? I cant judge its size but it looks like it can easily be housed in a medium kritter keeper style enclosure or an acrylic shoe box from container store or mDesigns.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I personally agree with you. That's my preference for fossorials as well. My experience with all the ones I have is that they'll use as much of the height as they're given. I have a juvenile c. darlingi in a 32 oz. deli cup and she has tunneled the ENTIRE thing from bottom to lid. Her adult enclosure will be an arboreal enclosure when it comes time to finally move her into it :)
why would you put a fossorial in an arboreal setup, makes no sense to me.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
why would you put a fossorial in an arboreal setup, makes no sense to me.
An arboreal enclosure, not setup, being taller than wider, filled with sub, provides deeper room for burrowing, and my experience with fossorials is that they will burrow the entire height of the enclosure if given it

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
An arboreal enclosure, not setup, being taller than wider, filled with sub, provides deeper room for burrowing, and my experience with fossorials is that they will burrow the entire height of the enclosure if given it
My fault, I miss understood. The darlingi I had did build impressive burrows the whole height of its enclosure.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
My fault, I miss understood. The darlingi I had did build impressive burrows the whole height of its enclosure.
No worries lol thats actually the only reason I got more fossorials. I didn’t realize how fascinating seeing all those tunnels would be, but they’re pretty amazing

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
No worries lol thats actually the only reason I got more fossorials. I didn’t realize how fascinating seeing all those tunnels would be, but they’re pretty amazing
Agreed, mine dug all the way to the bottom, then went back up and had a rounded out burrow, with 2 entrances.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Agreed, mine dug all the way to the bottom, then went back up and had a rounded out burrow, with 2 entrances.
Mine too!! And the deli cup it’s in is of course a cylinder, so the top of the tunnel makes a full circle around the lid, connecting the front and back entrances. With a big, hollow burrow inside.