C Lividum Issue

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Ok so just wanted to see if anyone else's has this issue. I made him a new enclosure using 6" of Zillamix, some fake Ivy, and as usual a piece of cork bark that I prestarted a burrow under for him...fast foward to the issue. Instead of using his nice burrow he has went and made himself and above ground web in the corner, no mat or anything but a Web like he's a gbb or something. Anyone else have this issue? The location I got him from had no room for him to dig so maybe he's messed up in the head? I'm used to a pet hole but it's behavior is concerning. Temps around 76, humidty about 75-80. I say he but it's confirmed female. No signs of mites, nematodes or other parasites and no mouth discharge or any signs of poor health.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Your soon to be "pet hole" may just be preparing to make and become a "pet hole". How long has the T been in this enclosure?

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Not too long so it's possible, I just upgraded her about a week ago. Guess my burrow digging skills and nice piece of wood are just not appealing enough lol.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
I'm like 90% sure it lividum given the source I got it from is pretty knowledgeable but he could be mistaken.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
C. lividum will always refuse any hides you give it even if there is a hole in it, instead they love to find premade holes around the sides of the cage and then make a home out of it which is the reason why I always make tons of tight premade holes for species like this. On average it only takes about to 48 hours to establish a home so any concerns afterwards is understandable. Do you have any pics of the tarantula and/or enclosure.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
20170228_190645.jpg 20170228_192635.jpg
These were from the rehouse I did after receiving her so it's with a fresh misting and doesn't show the Web she made. I can get more when I get home. :)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
IMO/E more substrate is needed. Quote from @Chris LXXIX "don't be a scrooge with the substrate". Deeper is better when it comes to asian "fossorial" species and moisture content. I use plain topsoil with a small amount of vermiculite added for moisture retention.
Picture of my AF C. paganus enclosure, 12" of substrate in the center where she decided to burrow, didn't use the starter under the cork. Clean to the bottom and angles to the right for a few inches. Most of my fossorial's dig burrows where they choose, rarely the starter I provide. After all, it is "their" home, I let them decide the location. I house all my fossorial species in the same manner, except Ceratogyrus, no vermiculite is added, a more arid species but occasionally overfill their water dish.
The acclimation time varies, couple of days to weeks, just give them time. Patience, on your part, is a virture. ;)
Btw, it's a C. lividum from your pic, nice looking one too.
Other photo of mine is O. violaceopes, so you can compare the two. :D

Attachments

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Yeah she and my seemanni both need more. Sub settled given its fluffy when you put it in but I don't want to disturb her lol.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Question though, I've been using Reptisoil and Zillamix in a 50/50 mix due to paranoia about nematodes and such ridding in with regular dirt or other critters (I feed dubias I breed in house). Have you had any issues with topsoil in regards to unwanted hitch hikers?

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
All this hubbub and I come home to find she made a burrow while I was at work and looking like she's always been there lol

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Have you had any issues with topsoil in regards to unwanted hitch hikers?
Not really, I completely dry out each bag in the sun. Once dry, sift it w/h 1/4" galv. rat mesh to remove unwanted large items. Then placed in 5 gallon pails w/h rubber seal lids and stored for future use.
The only blend for Ts I use is for slings. 50/50 mix of topsoil and sphagnum peat.
Occassionly I find a spot of mold, usually a bolus/dead prey, and promptly removed. Some will use clean up crews, isopods/springtails, to avoid this issue.
Topsoil is cheap, plentiful and a natural substrate for tarantulas. Enclosure weight can be a factor, especially large ones. Good placement and HD racks can eliminate moving issues though.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Hows humidty stay? One problem I run into and why I moved to 50/50 is my areas ambient humidty never gets above 40 usually so maintaining humidty without the zillamix (coco fiber basically) has been a constant problem.